Respiratory Disorders Community
Oxygen level below 70%
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Oxygen level below 70%

My husband had a night study (they put a contraction on his finger and left it all night) The results from the study was that his oxygen level dropped below 70% several times during the night - Is this bad???  And what does it mean???  My husband is 76 years old.
Related Discussions
90270_tn?1199338069
Your husband had a overnight oximetry test done...why did the doctor order this test? Does he already have lung problems or was the doctor suspecting sleep apnea that could cause low oxygen levels? Anyhow, an oxygen level of 70 is low. Normal values are 95-100, those with chronic lung problems can run in the low 90's. Supplemental oxygen is prescribed when O2 is 88 or less (most insurances won't cover O2 unless a person is at 88 or less including Medicare). If your husband has sleep apnea (he should have a formal sleep study where his sleep habits are monitored along with O2 levels, heart rhythm, EEG -brain waves, apnea monitors etc), the doctor would most likely order a CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure) to keep his airways open preventing obstruction so that he can breathe normally without apnea. If your husband has lung problems only (no apnea), then the doctor would probably order O2 during night at the very least. I would talk to your husband's doctor to see what the plans for your husband are regarding treatment, tests, etc...
Hope this helps..Sunny
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank