Respiratory Disorders Community
Oxygen plummets when I walk just a few feet
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Oxygen plummets when I walk just a few feet

I have been dignoised with pulumary fibrosis.  I've been overweight most of my adult life. ( I'm a 64 year female, now weigh 260, down from 370 in 2003.) I have been short of breath for years but nothing like this.  This was sudden.  I stopped smoking 20 years ago.  I've always been able to get over shortness of breath by regular exercise.  Now I cannot walk 5 feet without my oxygen plummeting from the mid 90's into the 70's.  I can sit and do exercise, housework, whatever and do not get short of breath.  I had cervical spine surgery 3 years ago.  I have cadaver parts, a titanium plate and screws put in my neck.  4 years ago I had laser surgery in my lower spine.  I have a lot going on with my spine.  You name it, I got it.  Also an auto immune disorder which they won't dignosis.  Dr. thought it was lupus for 15 years but then couldn't decied what it is.  I think this oxygen thing is directly related to my spine in someway.  I am on oxygen and a CPAP machine at night.  I have a referral to the Mayo clinic later this month.  I just hope somebody puts this altogether.  My pulumary Doctor wants me to lose 10 pounds a month but has me on steroids.  Christmas day I thought I was goung to die.  I'm not ready to go without a fight. Some days I feel good and other days I can't get out of bed.  HELP!

This discussion is related to Oxygen level.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Pulmonary fibrosis could be causing your symptoms of breathlessness. Lung function tests could further help in evaluating. You may have to restrict your work activities to prevent breathlessness or you may need oxygen supplementation to tackle the increased workload. The O2 saturation needs to be maintained above 88%. If there is a persistent O2 sat level below this it could cause vital organ damage. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor. In the meantime continue with your CPAP and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank