Respiratory Disorders Community
Oxygen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Oxygen

Will low blood oxygen levels  make blood pressure go up? If I walk for 15 minutes at medium speed and then rest for a while  my B.P. reading has been as low as 117/ 76 . Yesturday at my physical my resting  bp rate without prior walking was 138/90. Blew the physical .Should be 80 or less. Whats the matter. Im on bp pills and am reducing and on low sodium eating plan .  
what was your oxy levels? Yes low oxy levels can elevate the bp. Do you have a lung ailment?
Yes , I have c.o.p.d. Am a shallow breather. some days are awful to breath,other wise I'm good . Seems like the weather plays a big roll in the days  its hard to breath. And I've had times when  it seemed like I would beneifit by breathing a few breathes of bottle oxygen. I use an inhailer sometimes  on my bad days. I also need to lose about 100 pounds and am working on it . 20 is off so far.  
My oxygen levels were low at times during a test done at home one night while sleeping . The sensor  that attaches on the finger type recording moniter was used. But being a shallow breather one would think these levels would be low . So I try to do breathing exersices when I think of it . Like I said before when I walk for  20 minutes or so at a medium speed then take my bp it has been as low as 117/76. My wife says because I am breathing more. I think she's right.
Hi:
I also have copd. The weather is a huge factor in our breathing. The barometric pressure makes it really hard to breathe. My blood pressure is all over the place too. 117/76 is not bad. The bp will improve with exercise. I am going to rehab and my first reading was 215/78. They sent me to the doctor. They could not give me anything because the bottom number was low. Now it varies between 130/63 to 124/68. I am getting stronger. You might want to check with your lung doctor to see if you could get into a rehab group. It will be worth your while. My doc said it won't prolong my life, but it will enhance the quality. I think I could live longer because of the things I am learning and the exercises. Congratulations on your weight loss. I know all about that. I have gained so much just since last sept when I got diagnosed. I went from 165 to 230. I feel awful about that. I am on several inhalers which are steroids. They make me hungry. I have been told if I loose the weight it will be a huge benefit to my breathing.
Have you had a sleep study done. You might have sleep apnea and might benefit from a cpap. That will help you to breath fuller and better.
I hope I have been of some help. Take care and God Bless