Respiratory Disorders Community
PAIN AFTER OPEN LUNG BIOPSY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

PAIN AFTER OPEN LUNG BIOPSY

Thank God I read all the posts about the pain after a lung biopsy, I thought I was alone with this. I wish I had read these posts pre-op as I would definitely would have canceled the biopsy. I had scarring on both lungs and the biopsy was done to determine the cause. The diagnosis was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. I was in the hospital for 4 days and it was a nightmare. The pain was terrible. The worst part was when they removed the test tube, I thought I would get a local to numb the area but no, they yanked that thing out of me and sutured right away. I screamed like hell! It as been 5 weeks now and I'm still having pain, under my right breast, under the armpit and down my right side. When I touch it it feels numb. I am also experiencing loss of breath and a shooting stabbing pain that comes an goes in the middle of my chest. I felt okay before I had the surgery but because my blood oxygen level was 90-92 the doctors wanted to know why it was so low. I WOULD NEVER HAVE HAD THIS DONE HAD I READ THESE POSTS! There is no cure for what I have and now I have to be on oxygen 24/7. Doctor told me that the pain after is normal and would take about 2 weeks to subside......not true. Walking is torture and if I climb a small flight of stairs my heart pounds so fast I think it's going to pop out of my chest. I am also diabetic, insulin dependent and I think this procedure has messed me up big time. Of course doctors don't tell the truth about the agony you go through to have this done and the pain after..........to them it's all about money. Will this pain ever go away?? Thanks for any input.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Any injury to the pleura can cause pain. Pleura is the lining of the chest cavity. But as the post op inflammation subsides, your symptoms of pain should resolve. Consult your doctor for stronger pain killers. And limit your activities to help with your breathing. Continue with your breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your response, I really appreciate it. My pain is not as bad now, I would describe it as numbness, a feeling of heaviness under my armpit and I do not need pain killers. Hopefully this feeling will subside. Thanks again!
  I had similar surgery, having same symptoms as you, everyone tells me it takes time. My family Dr is a godsend, I'm praying for both of us! I was doing better until my allergies kicked in last week.
  There is good advice on this forum.
I had the VATS procedure 4 months ago. Experienced exact same symptoms and the stay in hospital was the most horrific thing I've ever experienced. Absolute agony for 3 days taking intravenous morphine. 4 months in pain under right breast, under armpit and down right side. Numbness in various areas a painful right elbow ? god knows why and my breathing is now bloody awful. I have had my post op appointment and tore shreds out of the butcher who operated in me, I was never told if the post op problems and would never ever have had the op knowing what I know now. Reason for the op was to rule out histiocytosis with a probable outcome of COPD, well the outcome was COPD and what really has upset me is that now I understand there is no treatment for the COPD and there would have been no treatment on the UK NHS for histiocytosis. So if there is no treatment for either what was the point of the operation? Caused me a truly horrendous time which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Think twice before you agree to this if your doc wants you to gave it