Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
PFT Results Question
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PFT Results Question

My wife had a pulmonary function test performed in May.  She has the CREST variety of scleroderma and has been diagnosed with early pulmonary hypertension.  We got a copy of her report that stated her DLCO was 17.7, which was 60 percent of predicted value.  Yet when we got a summary from her pulmonary doctor, he said the DLCO was corrected (for alveolar volume) to 84 percent of predicted.  

This is confusing us, since her total lung capacity (TLC) was 111 percent of predicted.  My understanding of the reason for correcting a DLCO for alveolar volume (DLCO/VA) is to get a clearer picture of how much of the available capillary surface membrane is actually lost in patients with diminished lung volume.  If a person has a TLC of 111 percent, how can you correct the DLCO to 84 percent based on alveolar volume when, in fact, there is increased lung volume?  In fact, shouldn't the DLCO be adjusted downward instead?  (Using TLC as an equivalent to AV, I came up with a figure of 54%)

We've left messages for the doctor asking this question, but he is apparently too busy to return our calls.  My wife is coming to the NIH in a couple weeks for an evaluation, and I would like to have this question answered in advance if possible.  Thank you!

Her other values were...

FVC 3.66 (108% of predicted)
FEV-1 2.93 (105%)
Spirograms plateau normally
TLC 5.94 (111%)
Flow volume loops no abnormalities
DLCO 17.7 (60%)