Respiratory Disorders Community
PFT confusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

PFT confusion

I am a twenty one year old male, 72 inchs and I am having difficulty interperting my PFT results. I was taught how briefly at a conference and now can NOT remember for the life of me.

best was
FVC 5.69
FEV1 4.20
FEV1/FVC 0.75
FEF 630
FEF25-75 3.25
FET 5.71

TABLE 1
Glossary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirometric values

FVC—Forced vital capacity; the total volume of air that can be exhaled during a maximal forced expiration effort.

FEV1—Forced expiratory volume in one second; the volume of air exhaled in the first second under force after a maximal inhalation.

FEV1/ FVC ratio—The percentage of the FVC expired in one second.

FEV6 —Forced expiratory volume in six seconds.

FEF25–75%—Forced expiratory flow over the middle one half of the FVC; the average flow from the point at which 25 percent of the FVC has been exhaled to the point at which 75 percent of the FVC has been exhaled.

MVV—Maximal voluntary ventilation.

Lung volumes

ERV—Expiratory reserve volume; the maximal volume of air exhaled from end-expiration.

IRV—Inspiratory reserve volume; the maximal volume of air inhaled from end-inspiration.

RV—Residual volume; the volume of air remaining in the lungs after a maximal exhalation.

VT —Tidal volume; the volume of air inhaled or exhaled during each respiratory cycle.

Lung capacities

FRC—Functional residual capacity; the volume of air in the lungs at resting end-expiration.

IC—Inspiratory capacity; the maximal volume of air that can be inhaled from the resting expiratory level.

TLC—Total lung capacity; the volume of air in the lungs at maximal inflation.

VC—Vital capacity; the largest volume measured on complete exhalation after full inspiration.
                    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0301/p1107.html

Here are some other links that may help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirometry   I don't normally cite wikipedia, but this one does give good defintions for the components of a PFT.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/303239-overview

Take care and have a blessed New Year.