Respiratory Disorders Community
Pain between ribs when breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pain between ribs when breathing

So... I've read various threads similar to this but not found anything quite like mine... In particular most other threads seem to start with people coughing a lot... Mine doesn't...

So, I'm 23, and since I was at least 10, I remember relatively regularly having pains in between my ribs (like a knife) and it hurting when I breathed normally or deeper - only shallow breaths were possible. This has been happening every month or so for years. The pain is always quite low in ribs in the same place on left side.
About 3 years ago I got it really really badly and started having pain move up my left arm. I got taken to hospital and they did an x-ray and cardiogram and found nothing. They prescribed me with anxiety pills but the only thing making me anxious was not being able to breath!!!
Since then, I have continued having the pain but when it comes once, it keeps coming for the next few days a few times a day maybe. Then it goes away for a few weeks.
I have also had a strange new symptom that seems linked... I started having a tight chest at the same time (more physically, not like an asthmatic tightness), and after a week my sternum clicked. Since then almost every morning my sternum has clicked, and maybe once more later on in the day. After this started the intercostal pains stopped for longer than usual, but they are back again, and they always hurt more these days than when I was 10...

Anyone got any clue what it could be?!
I have the same as you describe but the docs have never given me a reason.
My ribs slip on my sternum and they are always clicking, the worse pain is the lower left ribs.I get the sharp pain when i twist and take a deep breath.
Have you looked up slipped rib syndrome, the osteopath that i went to last week is sure that's what ive got, i got quite alot of relief from my first visit to him.
As far back as I can remember I have had the same pains between ribs as well, and can't take deep breaths when it happens. Growing up I just assumed this was normal, and never got it checked, and I am now 26. I haven't had any serious advancements with the problem like you described.
I really can't find a lot of information on the Internet about other people who have experienced it this way. Have you gotten anymore answers since you posted this?