Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pain/dull ache in left lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pain/dull ache in left lung

I have a dull ache/pain in my left lung.  It isn't persistent and it doesn't hurt when I breathe in and out.  I am a smoker but not a heavy one.  I'm just terrified that it could be lung cancer??  It never happens with my right lung? I feel stupid going to the doctors.  Im in the process of planning to give up smoking, I hope i haven't done too much damage and it's too late?
Pain almost never originates in the lung itself and, by your description, this is not pleurisy.  The best way for you to deal with your terror is to get a chest x-ray and, if any question, to follow-up that with a CT scan of the lungs.  To quantify the damage done to your lungs will require pulmonary function tests (PFTs).

The nature of the pain, “dull ache/pain” suggests that it is more likely to be a musculoskeletal pain or an atypical symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), with or without esophageal spasm.

Your concern is warranted and it would be appropriate, not “stupid”, for you to see your doctor.  What would be stupid would be to remain terrified.

Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Lung Hurts When I breathe deeply was started.