Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pain in my left side when breathing deeply.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain in my left side when breathing deeply.

Yesterday I went to the ER to have some tests done. I have been having chest pain for a number of weeks and needed a diagnosis. He ran an ECG and my heart would jump from 90 to 130 in a matter of seconds. Blood work was done and he ruled out everything. The tests were negative. He was still slightly concerned with my heart rate.
He told me the chest pain was due to costochronditis. He sent me for X-Rays and everything turned out fine.

In the last 7 months I've lost over 60 pounds and I am still losing weight. I am 17 and smoke cigarettes.
I weighed 239 pounds in about September/October and I am now 178. I have not changed any routine, I do not exercise regularly, but I have cut back on eating and picked up chain smoking. I have cut back on smoking in these last 2 months and I'm just looking for some answers to help me settle my mind.

I was given some lorazepam to reduce my anxiety and I haven't taken any because I'm suddenly having back pain that I've never felt and doubt this is anxiety related.
I woke up this morning with incredible back pain which is felt below the last rib(left). I can feel it when I take a deep breath and it's very painful. I was told I need to relax and stop worrying about the wrong things. I would be able to relax if my back wasn't killing me after every breath I take. I find relief by putting pressure on the muscle beside the spine (left side, mid back). The pain extends from lower-mid to mid and seems to be settling down a little.

Could this be costochronditis spreading to my back, or possibly pleurisy?
The doctor listened to me breathe for about 2 minutes, told me my lungs and heart were fine and that I am just having extreme anxiety.

I can only sleep on one side without experiencing back pain, but it's the side that's in pain.
I'm confused, a little scared, and need some answers.
Thanks.