Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pain in my right lung/chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pain in my right lung/chest

Help!  I am a non-smoker and suffered my 1st tension pneumo (right) in 1993, and a second a few weeks later with a VATS surgery.  Not much fun!  All was good until the fall of 2006 when I had a 3rd collapse of about 30%.  A chest tube was not used since I wasn't in huge distress.  A CT scan indicated that while the collapse healed, a small bleb remained.  We also tested for alpha-1 trypsin deficiency = negative.  A thoracic surgeon indicated that another collapse would warrant a 2nd surgery.   In January I started to have stabbing back pain which felt like another collapse - but chest x-rays proved different.  My doctor, who is a very good friend, indicated that this could be nothing more than scar tissue formation.  Still the pain continues.  By no means does it stop me in my tracks - but when does one decide if further evaluation might be necessary?  I've had asthma since 13, but its well managed.  I also have Ebstein-Barr.  I run regularly and would hate for this to put a damper on my running season.  I am nuts or should I be concerned?  Thanks!  e
Your doctor is probably correct; that the pain is secondary to scarring and, in fact, the scarring could reduce the possibility of another pneumothorax.  That your last pneumo was 30%, it may have been limited by the VATS procedure.  Whether another collapse would warrant another surgery is highly debatable, especially if it were equal to or less than 30%.  The pain may or may not eventually subside.  If it does not you might seek consultation on the potential pain relief by permanent block of one or more intercostal nerves.
Avatar n tn
I had my lung collapse 9 months ago and also had a VATS (I agree, not fun) in the right lung.  I have bullous disease, blebs in both upper lobes and nodules throughout the lower lungs.  They did a wedge resection and cut out the bullous and blebs from the right lung along with some of the pleural space.  Two months later I had a car accident and hit my right side on th airbag aggrevating the surgery.  As of today I still have alot of chest pain and although I don't let it get me down it can be severely painful and I wonder if it will get any better than this...At times it can feel like the lung is going to collapse again but it hasn't yet.  I get an extremely sharp pain in my center chest/shoulderblade that goes up to my neck, into my shoulder and down my arm.  It even is in the upper right front part of the shoulder.  I don't know what kind of pain you had before your lung collapsed but that pretty much sums mine up. I also have acid reflux real bad.  Apparently some of my pain is coming from that.  I believe that your body has a natural response to let you know that something is not normal.  When your body tells you to rest---rest otherwise I would continue as normal. After everything that you went through you should be able to be a good judge of when you should be evaluated.  I always went to the doctors when I couldn't mentally handle the pain but with me I trust in the fact that I know it will subside.  Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker