Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pain when inhale / exhale

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pain when inhale / exhale

It doesn't heppen all that often, however this last week every so often when I breathe in and out I have a sharp pain mainly over my left chest area and it feels like it may be extending to just under my left arm pit. I was diagnosed in 2002 with Wolf Parkinson White [auxiliary pathway of the heart]. Does this have anything to do with this pain? The pain goes away after a while - today it has lasted for about 30 minutes.. other days it may be 5 minutes. It is only when I take deep breathes [usual breathes] so when the pain occurs i tend to breathe a little shallower.

It feels like if I breathe too hard it will trigger something - snap a muscle or something!

Thanks,

A pain that occurs only with a deep breath is not from your heart.  From what you have described, it is either musculoskeletal (a "pulled muscle or rib") or pleurisy.  Unless you can remember having strained your chest, if this pain persists you should be examined by your doctor and get a chest X-ray.
OMG DEAR GOD! O_O...i never thought id find someone writing about the exact same thing i have been looking for an answer or relation to this since i was 13th!..

Im 18 years old right now and i think we are experiencing the same thing.

Sometimes it happens regularly sometimes it happens very rarely.

You get a certain pain in your chest, sometimes left sometimes right but mostly left for me.

And you cant quite take a full breath so you end of kinda panting. . . and when you try and force it you feel like ure gonna trigger something... I dont know if you've ever tried it. But when i get that sometimes i take a very fast breath and i feel like something kinda pops...othertimes i try the same thing but..nothing happens i just get a strain, in my chest which feels kinda like a muscle ache..

Does your heart every skip beats or anything? Id love to get to the bottom of this because ive gone for god knows what sort of tests and they are telling me its all fine.

The first time i encountered it as i mentioned was when i was thirteen,i am a martial artist: and i pulled a spectacular kick i remember being very short of breath at the time, i performed a lot of actions...then all of a sudden BAM...you cant take a full breath...and it hurts too much to try.. ..

After that i sometimes get pain in that area even if im not experiencing a fit like that..

Effi Lang.