Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pains after quitting smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pains after quitting smoking
Hi everyone,

I have looked through the forums and while there are a lot of posts about pains they seem to be for people in the first few weeks after giving up. I am 5 months after giving up now and my chest seems to be getting constantly worse. In the mornings I feel like my chest has a weight on it and is totally constricted and I have dark brown mucus at the back of my throat. I struggle to breathe at various times of the day and exercising is hell!

I am a 30 year old female who smoked since 16 years old.

The doctor says my lungs sound fine to him but I'm still suffering,

Can anyone offer insight?
Many thanks
The symptoms you describe are worrisome.  I believe it when you state that you are “still suffering.”  The symptoms  suggest that, despite your doctor’s assurance that your “lungs sound fine” (and they truly may sound clear) something is seriously wrong in your respiratory system and demands further investigation.  There are a number of possibilities to explain your symptoms but infection is first and foremost.

I strongly suggest that you and your doctor request a second opinion from a lung specialist (pulmonologist) and that you do so without further delay.  Do not be dissuaded from seeking help.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker