Respiratory Disorders Community
Paralyzed diaphragm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Paralyzed diaphragm

I have had a virus that affected my phrenic nerve causing my diaphragm to work poorly. My diaphragm is elevated on the left causing the lung to not fully expand. I am out of breath on stairs and cannot lift anything heavy and still not able to sleep on my back. I am told by my specialist the nerves will heal and I will be back to normal after a year or so.I am a 54 year old male. its been two months and I have seen slight improvement . Anybody go through anyhing similar and have positive results ?
Your symptoms sound somewhat like my mothers.  She's 65 and after having a lower lobectomy of her right lung she has had shortness of breath when climbing stairs, when she stands from a sitting position, when carrying something on her left or right side (but not at her chest) I have looked up phrenic nerve disorders and paralyzed diaphragm but have not found anything with those symptoms.  Her symptoms have actually gotten worse since her surgery (about 4 years ago), I'm wondering if when she had her lobectomy if they could have damaged the phrenic nerve. What test did you take that they determined it was your phrenic nerve? Her doctors have seemed to give up on her. I have not yet found any information hat phrenic nerve or paralyzed diaphragm can be cured. Thanks for any info that you can give me, I'm sorry that I don't have any info to help you.  Naillady
        They can test your phrenic nerves using electrical impulses. Most larger hospitals can do this. Also you can request a sniff test which tells them your diaphram is operating as it should. I am going to a specialist in two weeks to learn more.If it is a diaphram issue it could be raised on one side pushing on a lung. They have a procedure they do for that called diaphragmatic plication which is supposed to help ypur breathing. Just tell your mother to keep asking questions and not to give up. Hope this helps.
                                                                                                   carbiz54
Thank you, I'll ask if she's had such a test.
I too was diagnosed Nov. 2014 and not sure if virus or pneumonia that caused the phrenic nerve damage. I still have lots of questions. My diaphragm on the right is moderately raised.  I see gradual improvement week to week. I have been walking, watching my calorie intake and I'm taking Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin B12,  and Magnesium oxide 500mg a day.
I was told by a reliable source that Vit. B Complex and Magnesium help with nerve repair and nerve health. I buy the Magnesium Oxide because all the other magnesium cause diarrhea.
I would like to see a specialist that deals with phrenic nerve injury and raised diaphragms but don't know where to look for one. Any suggestions?
I still have lots of questions.  I'm 57 and want to live an active life this is very frustrating.
I was diagnosed in 2005 with elevated left lung and paralyzed phrenic nerve. I have hard time on steps and when I lift anything over 10 - 15 lbs on my left side it cut's my breath off. Last fall I decided to go to a specialist at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fl. He said people can have normal life but the nerve will not heal once paralyzed. He said if I eat right and exercise that it is what I make of it. Not sure I could run a marathon but could live a normal life. I'm overweight and notice that when we have cold weather as we are now that it actually causes a burning in my left lung. I guess because the cold air is trapped when my lung only works 20%.
Make the best out of it exercise and stay active. I think I will look for a warmer lower humidity place to live in a few years.