Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistant phlemy cough for several weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have had a persistant phlemy cough for several weeks.  Weezing sound coming from my right lung.  No fever.  This is the 5th week 2 set of anti-biotics.  Took an x-ray my chest was OK 3 weeks ago.  During the second set of anti-biotics I got head congestion(cold) and then runny nose, so now I have runny nose and cough and am out of anti-biotics.  While coughing (coughing fits last for several minutes) causes my nose to get stuffed up, when my nose is stuffed up I need to cough.  Yikes! To make it more interesting when I take a deep breath my left lung (front and back) has sharp excruciating pain with that lovely weezing sound.  Sick of being sick, can you offer any helpful suggestions?
You must be reevaluated by a doctor and a repeat chest x-ray.  The details that you have given suggest that the original infection involved both your head and chest.  In addition to the x-ray the doctor may get a culture of the phlegm you are coughing up from your lungs, along with a culture of the mucus that is coming from your nose.
I'm not a medical professional, but it seems that a further evaluation is necessary. It almost sounds like allergies started the fiasco. Perhaps an allergist or pulmonologist would be my next step.

Hope you feel better soon!
I just got tested positive for pertussis-->whopping cough.  Apparently many people I know have it/had it and I caution everyone to get rid of it if possible when a tickling sore sensation occurs in the throat at the onset.  Apparently it lasts for up to 8/10 weeks.  And the sore feeling in my right lung rib cage is from pulled muscles from the consistant coughing... Anti-biotics don't cure it but helps to contain the contamination to everyone around.  Hopefully it won't leave any scarring or long term damage to my lungs.