Respiratory Disorders Community
Persistent Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Persistent Cough

My husband has had a persistent cough since November. At first, I was rubbing his chest with Vicks vapor rub and putting a vaporizer on at night. That seemed to help. I was also gving him Robitussin DM cough syrup and that was helping. He began coughing up yellowish, thick phlegm for a while. But now, after several weeks, he is still coughing up some white phlegm. He says that it feels like there is something stuck in the middle of his chest and he can't cough it up. When I was looking at your site tonight, one of the answers suggested to a subscriber to drink some water. My husband had been coughing severely after we went to bed and had not had much water, so I told him to drink some water. His cough quieted down tremendously! We are going to infuse plenty of water in him for the next several days and hopefully the cough will clear up and remove whatever that is that he is feeling when he coughs. He is very healthy and the only medicine he is taking is a glucose tablet Actoplus 15mg/500mg. He is a brick mason and has been one for about 5 year. I started this question 5 minutes ago and he hasn't coughed since I started this post. I am glad that this site was available! Hopefully, water was the answer to a persistent cough.