Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistent cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Persistent cough

About a year ago, I had a case of pneumonia.  I followed the treatment plan prescribed by my doctor, and the lungs were clear at my follow-up.  Since then, I've had a couple of colds, but recovered relatively quickly - although I had coughs that lasted for weeks after.  Now, although I haven't been sick for several months, I've been suffering from a persistent dry cough that seems to worsen when I talk.  I don't cough at night, and my sleep hasn't been interrupted at all.  It is not related to location - it happens all the time, regardless of where I am.  Is this something worth going to a doctor for?  Any insight into what might be causing this?
While the dry cough, you now experience, may or may not be be unrelated to the bout of pneumonia you had a year ago you definitely should see a doctor to adequately evaluate it.  The fact that you have had coughs for weeks following "colds" suggests that you may have chronic inflammation of your airways that prevents rapid recovery, from even relatively mild infection.  If that is the case it will need to be treated.

One possibility is that you have developed asthma, possibly precipitated by the pneumonia.

It is important that all this be sorted out and this would best be done by a physician specializing in respiratory disease, preferably one who has a strong interest in chronic cough and its causes.

Good luck