Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistent forehead pressure and increasing dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I am a 33 year old male with no history of medical problems.In March of 05 while renovating an older home I began to have constant pressure at the bridge of my nose and center of my forehead.In April I experienced a sensation as if the floor had dropped from underneath me and made an appointment with my GP.I was treated with antibiotics and decongestants over the course of several weeks.After 3 months of being on various allergy medications I still experienced feelings of dryness or tiredness in my eyes, fullness in my ears, and periods of lightheadedness along with the persistent pressure.An MRI was done which came back normal with the exception of a small cyst in the right maxillary sinus.In September I saw an ENT who agreed with the allergy/sinusitis diagnosis and suggested I stick with the regiment of medications for a longer period of time.  He also ordered a CT scan of the sinuses and didn't see anything of concern. He didn't feel as if any further treatment was warranted until the house project was complete. We moved out of the house and I discontinued the medications.In April 2006 I began to experience more pronounced lightheadedness.At the direction of the ENT I went back on Allegra D, Singulair, and Flonase.We moved back in the house in July. In September this year I had allergy testing and am now on my second vial of allergy shots.The lightheadedness has persisted, is now daily, and has progressed to dizziness.I've been on additional courses of anibiotics and am missing work due to the dizziness.I had a physical and bloodwork all good. What should I do now?
It is difficult to make a diagnosis from the list of symptoms you have related.  It is unclear that allergy can produce the dizziness that you are experiencing as the main symptoms.  Allergy certainly can produce nasal and sinus congestion, nasal irritation and eye irritation.  The most common symptoms are nasal drainage, itching and sneezing and not dryness. Not impossible, but less likely.  Dizziness from nasal and sinus pressure usually can be seen on a good nasal examination and a CT of the sinuses. This problem of persistent dizziness is even more doubtful with normal CT scan of the sinuses.  If the sinuses are clear and you continue to have problem with dizziness, it may be a good idea to see a neurologist to evaluate for other causes of this.