Phantom smell - Burning & Smoke
Hello, For a while i have been smelling a burning smell in my nose, kind of like smoke. It's not constant, somedays it's there and some it's not, i don't know what it is, i searched around and couldn't really find much, any info would be great.
I have been having phantom smells for a while now.  5 yrs ago it was a disgusting rotten fish smell. I used the netti pot many times a day. eventually, it went away.  For the past month now I have been smelling burning wood.  I am a smoker and have been for over 30 yrs and I have a great sense of smell. I don't know who told you that smokers could not smell, but that is false.  anyway, I have a deviated septum that I have had forever.  I used to use nasal sprays way too much.  actually burned a hole in my nose.  this time the smell came at the same time as a bad cold.  the smell of burning wood is still there though.  I do believe it is sinus disease.  I had a CT scan about 3 yrs ago and was told I have that.  I am going to ask my dr to take another CT scan and compare it to the old one.  will let you know what they say
forgot to add that I have no usual signs of a sinus infection.  No runny or stuffy nose, no pain in my face, no fever, etc.  It is as if my sinus' drain into my head instead of out my nose because of this 'sinus disease'.  A CT scan should show if it is dental or sinus.  it can be very scary to google this symptom.  most of it is doom and gloom.  
Wow! I just Googled  "Burning smell", not really expecting to see so many other people having the same. This is the second time in a year I have experienced this. It vanished after having it for about a week, but now it's back again but much more intense. I though it had something to do with asprin because it came on the first time after taking lots of asprin for headaches. I took some Anadin Extra the other day and the smell is back.

This could all coincidence, and the only way to tell is to stop the asprin. I'm going to try the water drinking thing now. If this doesn't work then I'm going to buy some Sudafed tomorrow. The smell has taken over my taste buds also. Everything tastes metalic. It's just a nightmare.
It seems like different remedies work for different people.  I now swear by my $14 neti pot, which had an immediate positive effect.  I guess any number of things can get into our sinuses, and whatever I rinsed out was causing the burning smell.  I am surprised--I actually thought the neti pot was a joke, and only bought it because I was desperate to try anything and it was on sale.  I am just so relieved not to smell smoke/smoldering any more.  Thanks everyone for sharing your remedies--one of them saved the day for me!  I'll post an update if my relief is short-lived : )
I just experienced this last night. I woke suddenly from my sleep, sat up and screamed.  The smell was more of a chemical/bleach type.  I was convinced for a few minutes that someone was trying to kill me in my sleep.  Then after a quick look around, being dizzy and disoriented, I realized that no one else was in the room.  I thought I was going to either faint or throw up the smell was so strong.  I ran to the bathroom and rinsed my nose out with water.  After a few minutes the smell went away, but I couldn't get back to sleep.  Everytime I got close, I felt like I quit breathing and would wake again gulping for air. It didn't matter what position I was laying either.  I know you posted this like 4 years ago, but did you ever find out what the issue was or get a solution. The experience was so scary, I really do not want to go through it again.
I am a non-smoker who despised cigarette smoke.  I grew up with it and won't have it in my house now as an adult.  I have been suffering with a burning smell for 2 years now.  It showed up immediately after a camping trip and I believed it was that campfire was stuck inside my nose! haha!   I lived with it for a few weeks until I couldn't take it anymore.  I went to a seasoned ENT doctor who rinsed out my nasal cavities and prescribed me a steriod and round of antibiotics.  It didn't get rid of the smell.  He had me do a couple of smell tests which I passed with flying colors.  He ordered an MRI that only provided me with information that I have a deviated septum.  Nothing at all was found and he didn't know what else to do.  He printed out some literature about having phantom smells; a key factor in the literature for me was how it explained that people get so depressed having these smells that they commit suicide.  I can understand that for sure, but couldn't leave my kids without a mother.  The doctor recommended using a netti pot twice a day which helps for about an hour afterwards.  It went away for about 5 months and I felt like I was normal again only to have it re-surface and go away and re-surface and then go away.  After reading everyone's posts, it seems that it could be from a lot of different things and have a lot of different outcomes.  I do find that when my diet is particularly poor and when I eat too much sugar, it seems to come back immediately.  I can't help but feel like it is my body screaming at me that something is wrong; like a warning WARNING WARNING!  I went to get a check up and brought it up to my regular practitioner who prescribed me a daily steroid nasal spray.  It still goes away and comes back for periods of time.  Currently I have it and it is really really bad.  I fasted for half a day and the next day it was gone.  When I started eating again, it came back.  Maybe get tested for diabetes?  I am 100 pounds overweight.  If that is the cause I will write again.
Thanks for reading my story!
There is a lot of info about thisonline.  I learned that most of the time it's nothing to worry about.  Julie.

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=Phantosmia&s_it=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8&VR=3430
I am joining this website only so that I can comment on this thread because I went through this years ago and thought I was going crazy! Two words: memory foam! I started smelling smoke after I bought a memory foam topper for my mattress. It went on for months. I thought I was inhaling fumes from my car from my daily commute until I finally stumbled upon articles about other people constantly smelling smoke after sleeping on memory foam. I removed the topper, put in my guest room for a few days and shut the door and I felt much better... but could still smell smoke. When I finally got rid of it, the smell was gone within days and it has NEVER returned. It's been over 5 years now. :)
It's possible a neighbor is using drugs, heating it up before they take whatever it is. Creates a burning chemical smell.
I would be very interested in the outcome of your situation if you happen to follow up with a doctor. My husband is a cancer survivor and he has recently begun to have episodes of phantom smells. He describes the odors quite similar to the ones you mentioned. I have heard of the possibility of brain tumors, but as I can have a tendency to overreact where his health is concerned I would appreciate any further input you can provide
Wow I can't believe it I bought a memory foam topper on dec. 2013 and 2 weeks ago I started smell smoke , thank you 4 sharing your comment and for sure today I'm gonna take it off my bed.
Did removing the topper make the smell go away for you?
Im so glad i'm not alone with this.  I was reluctant to tell anyone in my famiy for fear they'd think I was nuts.  I'm off to buy saline nasal spray and will try that.
Like when your dentist grinds your teeth is the perfect description! It's not necessarily bad.. but way off, and not nice. I hate it! Don't know what to do.
yes so happy i looked this up, because i am getting a smell like wood stove or someone is burning there fire and its coming in my front room, guys i still smell food and anything perfect its just when i get in doors it hits me, i thought it was my smoking even i smoke 5 a day max.. i have a M.R.I SCAN on the 12 dec 2014 so in a few weeks i will DEFINETLY let you guys know wheather they find anything that can shed light on this smell,I ALSO have the smell of gone off butter when i eat toast about ten min after.... sometimes after a milk coffe... could it be a dairy issue?....NEXT POST WILL BE 13TH DEC 2014 A DAY AFTER I DO M.R.I WITH RESULTS, this forum help me to know i am not alone thanks
I had my first burning smell happen about 3 months ago.  Since than it has happen 3 more times.  Last nights scared me a lot. As after I woke up in a panic , searched the house I was not able to fall back asleep as each time the smell would return.   After researching online today I have learned it could be a tumor, sinis, my memory form mattress or menopause.  I'm making a doctored appointment.  I admit I'm scared.  
I'm here because I also started having a weird, sometimes quite disgusting smell in my nose that only I could smell. It would sort of switch around, sometimes smelling like something was burning, like I had just struck a match or just disgustingly sickening. But ALWAYS there! YUCK! This started happening about 2 months ago and I haven't had any sort of respiratory illnesses. It got so bad, I was feeling nauseous at night since for some reason it was worse at night.

I suffer from chronic migraines and just about all the awful symptoms that go along with that. At first I thought the weird smell thing might be linked but when it continued to linger, I ruled that out. I also don't take a lot of medications or have any other health problems.

It's been driving me crazy so I started searching the internet for answers. After reading LOTS of websites, I decided to start with the simplest suggestion I've read. I don't drink very much water especially in the winter months so I thought I would up my fluid intake (WATER) considerably to see what would happen. WATER, not Sprite which is my favorite, not tea or  coffee or any other soda. Pure water..... I started doing this yesterday.

Got up this morning and the smell is gone! It worked! Thank you, God! Stupid me.... I've always been neglectful about supplying my body with this life giving nectar and of course there would be consequences. Please, everyone try this. The remedy might be as simple for you, too. Think about what you're drinking or NOT drinking during the day and FIX it.

Good luck!
I feel sometimes I get a smell of smoke and it feels like it's coming from my lungs,it's like my lungs are on fire and I can smell the smoke,I don't smoke nobody in my house smokes,comments would be great
Anything helps. Thanks for actually listing a success on this annoyance!
Yeah seriously! my doctor suggested a nasal spray and 5 minutes later ordered an MRI on brain. Not gonna do it unless i have other symptoms. Im hoping this is sinusitis or some type of fungal infection. I do notice most report this in winter time when sinuses are dry, salt on roads, fireplaces, etc. Hope i can get this cured!
Your symptoms scream of what I read about candidas fungus in the gut/sinuses. Supposedly there is a blood test for this to check any abnormal levels of this fungus in bloodstream. I am new to this annoyance but thought I'd mention it. Good luck! and share any results....
I wondered why I every once in a while smell matches and after reading these posts about seizures, tumors, allergies and other awful things I really buckled down to track my own activities.  I discovered that I used Proactiv Refining Mask this morning and that was my only unusual activity, so I looked up the ingredients and found out that it is 6% Sulfur and some even call it Sulfur Cream.  I have discovered my Problem.  I wish it was yours and not this other horrible stuff.  Good luck to all.
36 year old male, perfect health, not using any drugs,
first time i noticed smell of strong chemical when i did come back at home after running few km for recreation, and noticed that have happening to me some times when i return from running , but occur rare and did last very short.
today first time i felt smelt like burning paper , was thinking gonna go easy as before, but still feeling it, ti is kinda less now like i have adapted, but the problem is that i can not smell anything like i did till yesterday, i try coffee , it have some smell but i can not say like what it is, next i found  cooking spices
vegeta - no smell
burp (origano) - should have strong smell, smells like filter tea not been put in water (home maden harvested tea smells more then filter tea)
then i opened bottle of whiskey to smell it jot senсe that is something there but no smell it is whiskey, sprayed perfume in it cover ,  it did not smell , i did have same feeling like it was from whiskey ... and it last whole long day, tomorrow i am going to doctor
burning paper smell started really strong, now the smell is very weak thing is i can not smell anything and i have now some strange filling inside my nose can not explain it i think it is like when it is irritated from some very hard smell , but without smelling that smell ....
ofc wont gonna use any medicine or "medicine" before i visit my doctor, and i even hope it will be ok even before i visit my doctor tomorrow :)
it was all normal at the morning , i did visit doctor,
seems that burned paper smell, and lost sense to smell was normal efect after i got some minor virus, and yeah 2 days ago i did notice my throat hurt little, did drink some tea with lemon , and did put few drops alcohol and it is nothing to worry... as i see this happens to a lot of people so it seems it is nothing wrong with your brain , but it just happens and it is normal :)
and it is nose irritation ... and it will be gone as it did come :)
On April 6, 2015 I was visiting my son and I kept smelling burning wood, like when someone uses a saw. He couldn't smell it. then on April 7, 2015 I could smell the same thing in my own home. Needless to say no-one else could smell it and no-one was using a saw. The other posts about phantom smells, are scaring me. Should I see my physician for an evaluation?
The wood , musty smell, like if you picked up a moldy or decaying piece of wood and broke it , out in the woods in a wet ish environment.

I have this. and I don't think it;s a phantom smell, I don't think other people can smell it because it seems to be coming from my lungs. I think it has something to do with Candida build up. overwhelming bad bacteria from time to time.   I could be wrong of course, but it does seem to be a deep thing, like fumes from my lungs.  if I set in one place and shallow breath I can make it worse. also I am susceptible to getting pneumonia from any little cold symptom it seems.  I have Type 2 diabetes, I don't know if that is part of the problem or not but I take metformine every day.  

something is not right, seems lie this smell is a warning for something and I want to find out what. I just got a new Doctor, I am keeping my fingers crossed.  
About a week ago, I started smelling what I can only describe as a combination of burning rubber and dead ***.  It smelled like some kind of rodent crawled into a power supply and killed itself by frying the transformer.

I'm otherwise fairly robust, I don't have any symptoms that would otherwise indicate thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, diabetes, etc. issues.  I will, on occasion, get a mild headache; however a quick backhand to the gf will usually eliminate the source of the problem.

I was at my wit's end.  So, finally I decided to biopsy several samples of my brain tissue with a cordless drill (and tiny bit) and send them off them off to an overseas company I found online.

After weeks or waiting I finally received the results.   According to my test results, the most probably cause of my problem was either: 1) a stuck vacuum cleaner belt, or b) the fact that I drilled five holes through my cranium with a cordless drill.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Thanks for listening; and, thanks everyone for sharing.
I just began smelling what I refer to as a cigarette-y or burning type smell about 3-4 days ago, having NEVER had such an experience before! I am wondering if it might be due to hormonal changes (I am nursing a 10 month old presently) or after reading more here, possibly allergies. We moved into this house in 3 months ago and I have been living here during extensive renovations to bathrooms, painting, etc. and have had no problems. The house backs onto conservation land, so I do wonder if it this is related to pollen from plants I have not been exposed to before. I am feeling stressed as well and I already plan to see a counselor for anxiety but I arranged that long before this smell  issue started up. I thought for sure it was our next door neighbours cigarette smoke drifting in through the open windows, but it's not. I ruled out anything house related, and no one else can smell the scent so it's a real mystery. I just took some allergy medication and rinsed with a neti pot...I'll keep you posted. I feel like I'm going a bit bananas!
ok i thoght i was the only one ! My mam smokes but its not the same smoke smell. Mine smells like the house is burning. I go check everything twice or 3 times and nothing is wrong. I feel paranoid cause its only in the night. Also recently i have found that the smell seems to only be in 2 rooms in the whole house. The hall and the Kitchen. This has been goin on for months. I have always put it down to my paranoia due to fear of fire but its obvious i need to see a doc about this do i ?
I don't know what to do! Everyone here is talking about smells. Well, not only do I smell something like paper burning, it also makes my eyes burn and sometimes is so strong, I start coughing. NO ONE ELSE can smell it! I only smell it in my apartment and I swear it's coming from my A/C vents. The only thing I can't figure out is why I am the ONLY one smelling it! Should I see a doctor or call the fire department?? (Lol but not really funny!) This is really aggravating!
July 14, 2015 Tuesday
Today, first time I thought to check on the internet; I smell wood burn or smell smoke in my nose, and I am so shocked that so many people experiencing same thing as I have.

My first smelled was 1986, I was heavy smoker at that time and suddenly this smoke like smell, maybe very strong dirty chimney small came out from my lung to nose with gagging out black and dark golden congestion. The smell was so strong I can’t bare the smell anymore, so I quit the smoking. I was rejoiced at that time and know that the Holy Spirit worked on my behalf to quit the smoking, since my body is the temple of God. Ever since then I had great relationship with the Lord Jesus for many years.

I did not smelled any more for a long time, until I acted up on greediness over and over again. I said I will obey him and yet I done many things the way that I wanted to be done without his counsel, or even disregarded his counsel.  I became prideful so on and on and on. Because of this reason, I thought this was just spiritual issues, and nothing to do with physical body.

Well, I smell today, the smell which came back 2006 ish.  Since I think this is spiritual issue, I never told anyone about smelling of burning smell. This burning smell I smell happens time to time, not all the time. Sometime it skips many months or just couple days. Just never know when it comes back. I still not sure where this smell comes from, however I just wanted to share what I am experiencing with my situation.

When I smell this strongly, I think of which area of my sinful nature must be clean out?(you might think cure of the physical sickness, but I think of a spiritual clean out)  And I work on it. Pray and meditate very deeply and ask the Holy Spirit to guide me to fine the area to be purged.  Once I reached and purged, (Sometime requires physical evidence of change life style) the smell leaves for a sometime.

Of course I continue seek to be pure, so I search my heart continuously.  After sometime, smell appears, and then this time smell is lighter than what it was, not thick and heavy. I do the confession and purge process like first and so on and on. It took a long time, however I know the smell I smell today is lot lighter than it was.  Few weeks back, I even smell a slight of pleasant fragrance, which I think when the Holy Spirit wants to let us smell of God’s pleasantness, he allows us to smell it.

Please do not fend it. I just share how I looked at it. I thought to see doctors about it, but I don’t think they have any answer for me. Because many of other physical sicknesses I endured through the years, they never had any answer for me.
WHAT U ARE ALL SMELLING IS THE SCORCHING OF THE IONOSPHERE. they are burning the sky 2 manipulate the weather. not all people smell it cause other people tend 2 b more closed minded than those who have the ability do so. we are unique and have a deeper understanding of things.deeply in tune with our surroundings. we have a better understanding of the atrocities being done to the earth and all of mankind.

it smells more like exhaust to me.
the acid smell and burned throat could possibly b fallout from the nuke plants blowing up in china
I have recently started with this, it came on at night a smell of burning and it terrified me. My husband could smell nothing.

I have been under a huge amount of medical stress and anxiety recently and am also chronically sleep deprived, developed chronic tinnitus six months ago which I can't cope with.

I have gad a brain MRI which is OK, but I find it hard to believe it is a phantom smell, I feel it is like your body giving you a warning but it's impossibie to track down what it's about.

I have a list if issues that could be causing it, chronic sinusitis, dental implants being removed, recently started taking Valium for panic, insomnia over many years.

It seems to be a form of hypersensitivity in some ways, as tinnitus and hyperacusis are a heightened/irregular sense of noise, caused by the brain.

This is why I worry as surely a heightened sense of smell in this way is also a weird neurological issue. I can understand one of the lists calling it Phantosmia but find it hard to believe that there is not an underlying cause somewhere.

I'm not saying everybody's cause will be the same, but I think there must be a physiological cause somewhere in each individual. Things don't happen for no reason. I wonder if I have Lymes disease as mentioned upthread as chronic tinnitus is another symptom of Lymes.

But I can't believe everyone on here has Lymes of a tumor there must be multipuke causes
the human body is riddled with tumors. everyone in the U.S. for sure. whether or not they become a problem is yet to b determined in most cases
Ive had the same thing for about 2 years. Constantly smelling dust or smoke. Ive used a Neti pot and that seems to help a bit. But you're correct, I thought I was the only one who had this.
When I googled this I never expected to find so many people afflicted with this.  I have been getting this for a couple of years on and off.  Mine is not a burning smell but a rancid putrid smell/taste which lasts a day or two and is so strong I swear people can smell it on me though they cannot.  I usually wake with it in the middle of the night like tonight.  It has come on during a dream of vomiting a thick putrid paste or trying to clear that paste from my mouth.  I smell it in my dream and wake to the smell.  It is what wakes me.  This time no dream,  I just woke with it.  I do take diuretics so I could be dehydrated somewhat so from reading here I have been pushing fluids for the past hour.  I was under tremendous stress today and took a Xanax which is something I rarely rarely do.  I keep wondering if that did it.  It is really quite disgusting as I not only smell it but taste it and it kills the taste of anything I eat  and makes me not want to eat.  I also took an allergy pill as some others have done here on the odd chance it might help.  The only thing I have found in the past that remotely helped was to keep mentholated cough drops in my mouth at all times while it was happening.  It "kind of" masked the smell and taste.  I have had several MRI's and EEG's in the past and nothing.  I had extensive blood work done recently and the only thing found was very low potassium.  I am at a loss.  Anyone have any ideas?
I  have had the same burning smell for about 3 months. Smells like a dirty oven is on and the door is open.  It also is affecting my sense of taste. I will drink a A&W root beer and all I get is a chemical taste in the soda. I smell cigarettes and just smell the chemicals not the tobacco aroma. I sure like the sounds of a sinus infection over a tumor! I am 40lbs overweight and have just got a cpap for apnea. Doctor gave me a puffer (steroids) it hasn't helped. I'm going to try saline now maybe some allergy medicine. I also have to find out what a neti pot is !! next doctor visit I'm going to steer him towards a sinus infection. Good luck everyone if it goes away I'll let you know.Cheers
I know this is old and maybe it will help someone else that is searching for an answer.  I also have the burning scent and Hashimotos. I take Synthroid.
I have it for ten months , but it can disappaer as long as a few weeks. i think i have a chronic sinusitis too. It only appears at home and disappear if i open a window ...
Hi everyone My name is Thulane i have a smell in my body that i dont understand it started when I was 14 years and since then i have been living with this smell.It was difficult at school no one wanted to sit next to me because kids would say i smell like something is burning, cooking oil burning tire. i have been living with problem for years now and no one knows what was it and i never talk about to my mother because i was to embarrassed to talk about. i am 35 now and i have quit jobs after jobs because i cant keep the job because people say i stink and it hateful when you don't know what to do. i have started a treatment for months ago when i went to the doctor and break my silence because i just quit my job and the doctor says it was a bacteria that was in me and it was not treated for years. it is still there as though sometimes i feel loosing hope because it this bacteria makes my body feel hot and produces a stinky smell in my body. please help anyone there.
Its your diet and probably your sinuses as well. First stop is an elimination diet. The best one is the royal Prince Alfred hospital failsafe diet in Australia. Go look up the failsafe diet at fedup.com.au its changed my life and many others.
You may try adding white vinegar to your bathing routine.  Vinegar is helpful with neutralizing many ordors.  Best of luck
For about the last two decades of my life (since age 38 or so) I've had the ability to smell odors about 30 seconds before anyone else, whether it's as nasty as a skunk, or as wonderful as freshly baked bread. My children and husband long ago determined that this is my super power (LOL) and we've had fun with it. However, sometime during the past decade, I've also begun to smell smoky odors that no one else ever smells. Occasionally I smell cigarette smoke and feel certain that a neighbor must be smoking right outside our home, but when I walk around the house outside, I can't find the source. What's most disconcerting is that I often smell a sulfuric odor, the smell of a recently lit match, and my nose senses this odor as if it's coming from my body; yet when I smell my hair, my clothes, my breath, or my skin, I don't detect any of this sulfuric odor. I ask others if I smell like sulfur to them, during times when I smell it very distinctly, and no one has yet to detect any such odor, either coming from me or in the air around me. These odors are not restricted to my own home or town; they occur regardless of my location or circumstances. I use a neti pot regularly for sinus issues, and I refill my 16 ounce water bottle (which goes everywhere I go) at least 3 to 4 times a day. I have several chronic pain issues that I have learned to live with, including pain from degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine that often causes headaches and migraines... Basically I'm writing about my experiences in this forum because it really has been helpful to know I'm not alone in the world. I think my next step will be to consult with a neurologist. Thanks for the all the information and insights each of you has shared... I'll return to write more if I learn any more on this subject... Blessings!
Up close- ask a relative to smell your nose -
I used the Neti pot with a homemade rinse of sea salt and baking soda. I added a tiny pinch of tea tree oil to the entire batch of pre made salts. - rinsed my first rinse and I could immediately smell burning plastic or electrical cord - type smell - (very plastic/nylon burning) it took me a minute to realize it could just possibly be me. My husband even got up to come smell, and this odor was nearly "powerful enough to see fumes or smoke"
When he couldn't find the smell, it was dawning on me right then, so I asked him to smell my nose. I said "I just did that rinse and I can smell something so please just smell my nose and tell me if it smells wrong or bad." He did and immediately shrank back yelling OH MY GOODNESS THATS AWFUL. I said you can smell it?!?? Mostly relieved that I wasn't insane- he said yes. I asked what it smelled like and he said "something chemical-like".
So I don't know what it is... I even used natural products. I'm just glad Im not the only one now...you all can smell it too, and it must be scary- but try it out: next time you smell the smell super-strong, have someone smell your nose. The reassurance that it is "real" may bring lifetimes of reassuring peace until a cause is discovered.
I have come to the conclusion that the bad odor that I am experiencing is attributable to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)-- which is caused by acid reflux where food and acidic stomach juices are flowing back into the esophagus.  This condition worsens at night, because lying down facilitates the flow of stomach content into the esophagus and throat.  My bad odor started out smelling strongly like a dead rotting animal somewhere in my house and then morphed into a chemical burning smell.  After paying thousands of dollars (pest control, HVAC system and air ducts cleaned out, hot water tank and septic vents flushed and snaked, and goo-gobs of air fresheners; on top of doctors' visits, antibiotics, etc.), I finally realized that the odor was originating inside of me.  Now, I drink tons of water all day, take OTC heartburn medicine (Tagamet) and after each meal, I drink baking soda (1/2 teaspoon) in water (1/2 glass).  I think that if I could stop eating wheat that this would probably help as well. The smell has not gone completely away (comes back every time that I eat), but it has been significantly abated.  I also think that fasting one-two days per week will also help.
It's called phantosmia people with chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis get it a lot. Use the sinus rinses!
I have this ghost smell as well that no one else can smell but me. It's a horrific burning moldy smell and taste and I've been to many doctors. It's neurological and I've been diagnosed with partial seizures. I don't get grandmal but it's still definitely not a fun thing.
I smell a weird smoke smell too. It's almost like something is burning, like a tire or some type of food. It happened off and on for a day but it drives me crazy. I just had a bicycle accident. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also was sick a week ago, I still have phlegm and some mucus. I feel like it's harder to breathe but I don't know if I have a sinus infection or not (being that one of the causes). During my accident I also broke two teeth so I don't know if it has nothing to do with that either. Someone please help! I know I am not a hypochondriac.
Check your cfl light bulbs they have a built in ballast and can cause this the light may may even be out but the ballast will still burn
Smoke smell is a sinus infection... I can't remember the particular bacteria name, but it can be killed by a genomycin rinse w/ oral antibiotics. When I had it, my husband could smell burnt hair whenever I would sneeze or blow my nose
There is NOTHING physically wrong with all of you, its your Soul's way of trying to get your attention.

We each have bodies: Physical, Mental Emotional Spiritual

Since its a PHANTOM SMELL guess what guys and gals..the Doctor can't find it! (PHYSICAL BODY)

Try this folks..ask your soul what it wants you to know about WHY you are smelling the burning smell!  Its about the Why you are smelling .............not WHAT you are smelling. Oh and the Thyroid is a GLAND.  There are no MEDS to "Fix" a GLAND!

If you believe there are meds to fix a gland you have really succomed to giving your power away to the pill popping answers doctors have because they don't want to look bad in front of YOU with your credit card ready to swipe with their Medical Degrees hanging on the walls.  They want your money folks!  

This is a PERFECT example of it too! MRI's won't find it, washes and pills are temporary because that is for Physical Issues....yes, its a Spiritual issue.

Whether you like it or not-it is a spiritual issue!  It will ALWAYS circle around if you don't address it.  How do I know this????? Because I have it and I'm learning what my soul wants me to heal and clear for me.  Keep in mind, we may ALL have the same smell but it doesn't mean the ISSUE is the same.  
Your response is the best. I will start asking my soul some questions today. You Sir, are a very insightful person.
Sensory seizures. I have them, and I too smell smoke-specifically a structure fire, which is a very distinct smell.
I just experienced this an hour ago. The smell was like burning incense and I was coughing as if I were breathing the smoke. I had to get out of bed and sit up.