Respiratory Disorders Community
Phantom smell - Burning & Smoke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Phantom smell - Burning & Smoke

Hello, For a while i have been smelling a burning smell in my nose, kind of like smoke. It's not constant, somedays it's there and some it's not, i don't know what it is, i searched around and couldn't really find much, any info would be great.
I know it's been awhile since your post, but if you're checking back I wondered if you ever figured out what it was?  I just started smelling it yesterday.  And it definately is a phantom smell.  For me it's not so much like smoke, but chemical burning or friction burn.  Like when the dentist grinds your teeth kind of... ??  Anyonelse???
It's called Phantosmia, and can be from drugs, head injury, seizure, or tumor.  You should see your doctor, a neurologist if possible.
Same problem of smelling smoke, like something is on fire in my home. I am in the process of finding out the problem and am investigating all possibilities I find.
I have a denign petuitary tumor that we've been monitering for a number of years. Recently I've noticed phantom smells like burning tar, garbage, cow manure...nothing ever pleasant. I know its not really happening to anyone but me, still I always grab the nearest person and ask what ordor they smell. Just once I'd like someone else to share my experience. This weekend, while eating crab legs dipped in melted butter, I had to keep asking if the butter tasted rancid to anyone else. I have 2 drs. apt. set up...one for an MRI and one for the followup. Keep ya posted.
My phantom odor smells like an ashtray.  I keep thinking maybe someone is putting their cigarettes out nearby and I'm just not seeing it - but it's happening both at work and at home.  Should I be worried?
I have the "smoke" smells moreso some months than others. I have gone several months without smelling the "smoke" and some months it's as frequent as daily,  It is rather annoying if nothing else.  My family of course never smell a thing like smoke.  I imagine that this "tumor" mention could be a dangerous situation so should I worry more about this?  I am in the process of re-enlisting in the military and I don't think the powers that be would care for this illness.
I have been suffering from this for about 2 years now.  I smell something burning in my home which smells more chemical than anything.  I live alone and am paranoid about it.  I'm always afraid my house is smoldering.  No one else can smell this.  Some times it is a daily thing which can last hours to days, and sometimes I go months without smelling it.  I have no idea what causes this, but would like an explanation or diagnosis.  It is very annoying and stressful.  
Amazing. Never thought anyone else had this same thing occuring to them.
For me it started a year ago; All of a sudden. The "smoke" was more
chemical than anything. It even burned my throat. I could even taste it.
That went on for 6 weeks straight. Went away out of nowhere. Since then,
it comes back every so often, but not as intense as the first time.
Same horrid smell, with the same taste and burning of the throat.
I didn't read anybody else having a taste in their mouth from the "odor" and
I am a bit worried ...
I have had this for years. I thought it is part of my mild Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome, but now that I have a lot of symptoms that could be a brain tumor they are trying to do a MRI. I have become Claustrophobic so there was no way I could take that plastic tube they put your head in now before going in the tunnel, not even on the open MRI machine. So now they are going to do a sleep study ( have all those symptoms to) to make sure it will be ok to put me to sleep for the MRI. God bless.
I understand from my neurologist that phantom smoke smell can preceed a seizure event, even an "absent" seizure, meaning that you check out for a sec.  I do not have seizures.  A tumor is a possiblity but I don't have that either.  I have taken to using a Neti Pot to wash out my sinuses when this starts and it seems to help incredibly.  I have a low functioning immune system with possible porphyria (look this up and see if any of the other symptoms apply to you).  I think that the smoke smell serves as a warning that there is something going on in your body that you need to discover.  We have to be our own detectives and advocates.  Blessings to everyone here who is suffering.  Mine has been a ten year journey.  I pray yours isn't as long.
I have been experiencing the same acrid smoke smell with the burned throat sensation off and on over a period of approximately a year. I see here that several people have mention that they have Dr. appointments set but no one has come back to report the results. Anyone have a successful out come?
I have had this same phantom smell of burning cigarettes for several months.  My Neurologist thougth it could be a frontal lobe tumor or depression.  I put off an MRI because I have been under tremedous stress and depression was present.  I started on an anti-depressant, Lexapro and the smell went away.  I let my Drs know this but they still wanted to run the MRI...I had it yesterday.  Funny thing...my phantom smell came back yesterday evening so now I;m not sure it is entirely depression related but perhaps a combination of "stuff".  
For years I have had this problem of phantom smell.  You know when you have a candle burning for awhile and then you blow it out - that smell has been driving me crazy.  I suffer from migraines - from time to time (however as I am going through menapause they are less frequent.  I have hypothyroidism aka (Hasimoto's Thyroiditis) since I was 33 (now 50).  About 12 years ago I started exeriencing this- it was so bad that I knocked on the doors of all the offices in the 4 story office building I worked in - asking people if they were burning candles.  I also do not have it all the time - but when I do get it, it stays for days / weeks sometimes and just drives me crazy.  So far I've read that this could be related to MS, depression, brain tumor, etc..

The most common denominator so far that matches any of my conditions I've found in all these forums that I've read is thyroid.  Could this be releated to thryroid medication - perhaps a side effect?

It would be good to know what is causing it - even better to know how to stop it.  Any suggestions.
I just started smelling ths today and i twas right after I was baking panckakes for my baby sister and I was wondering what it was and my whole family can smell it so we are wondering what it is and it smells like burning plastic???...Does any one know why???????????
If your whole family can smell it, something is burning! Electrical wires, floresent light bulb, clothes dryer, hair dryer etc. etc. etc.
I too have a smell of burning smoke in my nose from time to time.  Sometimes I can go for months without experiencing it and then all of a sudden I smell it all the time.  I am on Abilify, Wellbutrin, and Lamictal -- all for bipolar disorder.  Could this have anything to do with it?  Do I need to worry about seizures?  This has been happening for about 5 years now and so far no seizure.  I didn't start having this until I started taking the drugs.  Could they have started a "short circuit" in my brain somehow?
I started getting the same smell last week. never heard of phantom smells before but my fiance said his doctor told him it was due to a brain tumor so i'm booking in to see my doctor about it.
I had this problem right after Thanksgiving, and vowed I would report back to posts like these if I found a cure.  Well, I went to an ENT before a neurologist - just somewhere to start.  Because I have Lupus, he knew what I was talking about because his mom and uncle have Lupus.  Phantosmia.  First he wanted to try steriods.  Prednisone to be exact.  A tapered dosage over like 10 days I think it was.  I AM CURED!   Maybe it was a coincidence.  I don't know, but here it is Jan 07, and I've had nothing since mid Dec.
I might have something that can HELP!!

I suffered with the phantom cigarette smoke for 4 months before I found relief. My mom suggested a allergy and I was like no way, never had allergies before. Well after I thought about it I thought well it couldn't hurt to try an allergy drug, so I bought a neti-pot used it for a few days and then bought Alavert 24 hr. allergy tablets (they are orally disintegrating mint flavor). I used the neti-pot 3x's a day plus the Alavert. I woke up on the 6th day of treatment without the smell of cigarette smoke. Next day same thing...smoke free....then in the afternoon the smoke smell came back I was bummed, but 2 hours later gone and it has been 3 weeks and still breathing fresh air...no phantom cigarette smoke!!

I thought the allergy was a no go because I started the phantom smoke in November and it continued during the winter months where I thought pollen count was low...but maybe it was something else either way I am phantom smoke free.

I used Alavert because it is cheaper than another Over the Counter brand that doctors recommend, but Alavert has the same active ingredient with the same mg as the other brand but far less cheaper.

Just wanted to share my experience because I was so miserable that I was getting depressed...so if I can help just one person get rid of that phantom smoke then...WOOT WOOT!
I never thought this was happening to so many people, I always thought I was being haunted.  I only smell it when I'm sleeping and the horrid smell wakes me up because I think the house is burning.  I also wake up sweaty and my jaw is sore... Does anybody know why???? Its driving me crazy, and it only occurs once in a while it happened to me last night again :(
I smelled burning wood, but sometimes it smelled musty like some kind of mold (not mildew), and I noticed it more after it rained.   After a few months of this, I  finally typed "burning smell" in Google and sure was surprised to find this forum!  Several months ago, I was as surprised to find a forum where people were talking about gnats flying up their noses.  I think both problems are related and have to do with some kind of decay stuck in the sinuses.

As far as the burning smell, I have been able to make it go away by putting various home remedies in my nose and using a neti pot.  Now, sometimes I smell a sweet smell, like donuts, but I can make that go away, too, temporarily.  So far, all my remedies are temporary, but I am thinking that with diligence, I will finally get rid of the problem.  

I do the following routine with the nose drops at least once a day, and use the neti pot once a day.  My sinuses are clearing somewhat, but surgery is starting to sound good.  In the meantime, I will continue doing this routine:

Nose drops:
Fill a small dropper bottle (2 oz) with almond oil, then add 3 drops lavender, 2 drops peppermint, shake, then add about 1/8 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide (the kind you can buy anywhere).  The peroxide seems to be important, but just be careful how much you use because it does burn (fizz) for a few seconds when it gets to the infection!  (Everyone is probably different in the amount they can use; I tried mixing water and peroxide half and half and it was way too much for me!)  

To put it in your nose:  Lay on your back with your head just barely hanging over the side of the bed.  Shake the mixture, then add a few drops to one nostril, wait a few seconds for the burning to stop, then put a few drops in the other nostril.  Leave it in there for a few minutes, then I usually add more drops to each side.  You can experiment with how far you hang your head over the side of the bed to get it into other parts of your sinuses.  You can feel where the peroxide stops.  When I do it, I can feel the peroxide in my forehead on the right side, but it stops somewhere behind my eye on the left side.  After doing this repeatedly over several days, I can feel it go a little further into my left sinus.  When you sit up, of course you will have to blow your nose.

Wait a few hours before using the neti pot.  With the neti pot, it is important to put the right amount of plain (non-iodized) salt in the neti pot, about 1/8 teaspoon to a neti pot of water, mixed well.  Either too little or too much makes it burn.  Lately I have been adding a pinch of baking soda as it seems to be soothing.

Also, we have natural flora in our noses. Some posts recommend putting probiotics (flora) in the neti pot, but I am not sure if it helped the problem or made it worse.  I don't think I would try any probiotics with FOS in it, but I will probably try using probiotics again.

i had this problem about 4 or 5 months ago for weeks. i smell burning/cigarette smoke. i can almost taste it and it makes my throat hurt and gives me horrible headaches.  i went to the doctor and had blood drawn. they tested my thyroid. i had an MRI and an EEG.  they didn't find anything wrong. all of a sudden the smell went away but it just came back two days ago. im not sure what else to do to get rid of it...
I am pretty sure the burning smell is caused by candida or some other kind of fungus.  I am still working on getting rid of it permanently.  Today I tried a goldenseal mixture that I bought at the health food store with pretty good results.  It got rid of the smoky smell very quickly for a little while.   I am still doing the other as mentioned above, and I added the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, but either I'm not doing it right or it just doesn't work so great for me.  I'll keep doing it for awhile though.  It could be that laying on your back does the same as far as getting a mixture in the sinuses in the forehead, but here is the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush link:  http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

I have had this smell in my head for about 5 months now.  It's almost a cross between cigarette smoke and some kind of metallic or chemical smell.  I was wondering if anybody else with this sensation has amalgam fillings in their teeth.   I've been reading a lot of forums where people have described these same symptoms and have been given various reasons, such as being  on certain medications, sinus infections or signals of impending migraine.  I have ruled out all of those reasons for myself and by process of elimination, I've come up with the possibility of amalgam fillings. What do you think?
I had all of my amalgams replaced with composite fillings at least 10 years ago.  Perhaps there is some trace of amalgam left somewhere, but it probably wouldn't be enough to cause this much trouble?  In my case, I am pretty sure it is a blockage, a fungal ball from what I have read.   Sounds disgusting, but it is what it is.  (I can tell a lot by where the peroxide irrigation mixture goes or doesn't go.)  That usually requires removal by an ENT (surgery), not an option for me at the moment.

I had the smoky smell off and on for months, so if you have that, I highly suggest you go to an ENT or do something about it before it gets too much to handle.  

In my case, the smoky smell has gone away with daily (or more often) irrigation, but has been replaced by a sweet, sometimes dusty (not musty) smell.  The irrigation gets rid of the smell for at least awhile, but I am finding I have to irrigate at least once a day to keep the smell away.  Also, I don't think I mentioned, that's ALL I can smell.  I'm not sure when I lost my sense of smell, but sometime in the past two or three months.  (I live along the MS Gulf Coast, so I am hoping it doesn't have anything to do with the oil or the toxic dispersants BP sprayed on the oil.  I had the smoky smell before the oil crisis, though.)

The solution I have been using the past week is water, a little plain salt, a little baking soda, and a little peroxide mixture put into a bulb syringe, then hang over the tub.  (I found the basic method on the internet.  If anyone is interested, I will find it and post the link.)

If anyone knows for sure whether or not daily use of a mild peroxide mixture will cause permanent damage, please let me know as I have not been able to find this on the internet.  

As far as thyroid, mine is not completely fine, but adrenals were worse, so I am being treated for that (naturally with adrenal cortex extract).  
i am so glad to see all you all other people experiencing the same or similar things to me.

i smell something like what you'd smell if you're very near something burning - it occurred to me, sulfur (recently, after 10 days of smelling that several times/day). no fire alarms going off. (it's at home and in the car i notice more. when walking or socializing, i think i am too busy - read: otherwise processing incoming info i guess - to notice ... as a possible reason i only notice in car or at home.

1. i am hypothyroid and treated with synthroid (or analogs) now 20+ years. (i'm mid-40s.) it is stable many years, but lately weird results, treatement response in progress.

2. whether that has to do with hormonal changes as part of menopausal transition i don't know. while my firm belief is that the official medical world has insufficient understanding or treatment related to the endocrine system, imminent menopause isn't what's going on to cause smelling burning in me.

3. i take lamictal (275/300 mg/day).

4. apart from the graves disease i got in my early 20s (hyperthyroidism) and had isotope of idion treatment for at that time, i've been a really healthy and complaint-free person all my life. synthroid has been totally fine, unnoticeable.

5. i broke my nose in a serious car-bike crash 10 years ago. (i was training for the aids-ride.) it was a combined speed of 70 mph. i broke and ruptured many things, including my nose. it's never been fixed. it and my sinuses have always been "wrong" since.

6. i've never had allergies before (tho i am a long-time sufferer of fainting, and i don't know why beyond having low-iron, they tell me). now i have them a lot. it's not air-born, flower, pollen related. it's carpets, fabrics and animals.

7. i am first and first all for bee pollen, goldenseal, essential oils, hydrogen peroxide (i pour it everwhere on me and have gargled with it), sea salt (when things went south, i dreamed of walking into the sea and letting it heal me), epsom salt, ethal alcohol, and diatomaceous earth (even internally). and i am a believer in old wives tales and grandma's wisdom. as i never was.

8. diet (what you eat and drink) matters. do not eat sugar (straight, cane or otherwise, especially not corn syrup, but that for other reasons on top of this). do not eat things that turn into sugar right away (starchy things - like potatoes, direct sugars (you know), fruits (yes, really, and that includes juices). and while we're at it, well, even cultured dairy is out, but i do love my yogurt and cheese so there you go. but: .. but: this will make a difference and will help.

9. when it comes to remedies like neti-pot ingredients and topical cures (essential oils and minerals and plants of many kinds) - this is not confined to what you put on your skin or let run through your nasal passages in solutions of saline or otherwise. i think many of these things your body wants and needs internally. i have tried and it's been good. the question is how much, with what, and when.

10. hydrogen peroxide - yes.

11. vinegar - yes.

12. i take a bath every day (sometimes, but usually not -- who is that un-busy?) that has added: vinegar (liberal amt), epsom salt (same), sea salt (same), and hydrogen peroxide (a little less than liberal but a lot). first, my skin is crazy-smooth and soft. which is nice. and second, of the many things i've applied religiously, at great expense of time and money, this seems to work very well if applied routinely as a practice.

13. recently had a very noticeable change in my allergic response to animals and being outside. i think this is about mites. i'm now super-reactive to point of going to the hospital twice. i itch when i go outside; i sleep on a plastic mattress now because otherwise i can't. i think i got a bird mite infestation, and i've moved (planned before the itching started). i still had it, and i had professional pest control come in and i discarded most of my fabric or porous belongings. (not an easy decision. it was that serious.) i can't sleep on carpet or near it without itching and i can't be near animals. (similarly, a very serious decision, because i have a cat i love more than almost anything in the world - i reserve the top category for my mother and my father and my-ex-serious-boyfriend.)

14. i used many oils (tea tree, orange, lemongrass, neem) in my home. i am considering using them in some mixture for neti pot. i covered myself and my home in diatomaceous earth. i covered myself in sulfa-derm (a cream based solution of sublimated sulfur people use for killing bacteria and parasites). i believe the organic/natural-based remedies can work, and so far as i can tell, the only one i haven't tried is the neti-pot. (i think it's icky, but i have done far ickier things in my quest to remove my two symptoms which are bites and smells.)

15. the smell thing i think irelated to the sulfa-derm i applied (i'm not allergic to it - and many people are), the thyroid disturbance, the lamictal, and the fact i broke my nose in a serious car-bike (i was the bike) ten years ago.

those of you people who have read this: is mean it with all my body (first), heart and soul.

and i have never posted to any forum (not even at work, which is super informal and fun and friendly) before.

thank you all for posting yourselves -- it has helped me huge -- and i hope this (to whatever extent you put up with my wordcount) has helped or sparked anybody to find help,

d
I have been experiencing the smell of someone smoking for a few weeks. I decided to eliminate items from my diet. I like Everglades Seasoning and use it very liberally, especially on breakfast potato's. I did not use it for a while and did not experience the smell any longer. Does anyone else use this seasoning that has been experiencing the smell of smoke.
it really does help some to see all you with very similar symptoms, be it smoke, manure, chemical smells.  mine is 5 years and increasing in strength . am leaning towards and mri...if i can rule out tumor, i can deal with this. my ent has all the same suggestions...medi pot, nasal sprays, etc.  nothing has solved it  and some days are much less noticeable for no known reasons.  hope someone can solve this for all of us.
has anyone had the smell of toast being cooked in a toaster or eggs and bacon?
I too in many years past and also in others states had smoke smells. However it was in certain rooms only and a hallway while living in MO. Now living in MI it has started again and at times it is cig smoke and other times its toast? go figure... I do take levothyroxine, and antidepressants... I am curious to find an answer because generally my family doesn't smell them however my two youngest have!
I really feel that this Extreme Excess of using peroxide, alcohol and any/all other *germ killers* is a Very BAD idea!!!!

Our bodies are NOT meant to be *that clean*.  I truly believe you are creating a lot of your own problems - real and imagined - by doing that.

Certainly - if you HAVE an infection, that is one thing...but to bath daily in *Mister Clean* is totally going against natures own ways!

As for Diatomaceous Earth  "FYI":  the kind sold for swimming pools is VERY dangerous to human health, your pets and livestock. It has been chemically treated and heated to change it's composition. It will kill fleas but it might kill you too!  So...I think I'd steer clear of it.

Diatomaceous Earth is not actual *earth*, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS; it is ocean crustation crap/poop basically..

Diatomaceous Earth kills through physical action by puncturing insect's exoskeleton and absorbing the moisture in their bodies.  

Kinda gross really...

IDK - I think some of you are harming yourselves....going WAY overboard iwth the clean issue and in turn, Causing yourselves harm.

I have been smelling smoke for about a week now. No one else  in my family smells it nor do they smoke. I went to the doctor today and he ask me if I where hearing voices. I felt like he was making fun of my symptoms...he brushed it off like I was crazy. I have migraines and been on topamax for years and never had this problem until now. The smoke smell stays with me day in and out, except when I sleep. I need help with this problem, because it is stressing me out.
I have been getting this buring smell now for about 2 weeks and it seems to get stronger daily. I can now taste it constantly (except when I am eating something or sucking on a mint), and it is really starting to upset me. A local doctor has given me some nose drops, but these are not helping at all. The Neti-Pot only lasts for a few minutes. It came out of nowhere as I was getting rid of a cold. Any help?
For the last 2 weeks I keep smelling a skunk like scent or marijuana. I first noticed while sitting at the library and asked others if they smelled, but only my 11yr daughter and I could smell it. Then I could smell it again at church. So Im thinking maybe the scent got in my clothes from the library, until I got home and the scent was strong in my living room wall. I called the manager of the building and he said he didnt smell it.
Again my 11yr could smell it. So Im think is it possible that if someone smokes in my building, the scent is coming through the walls and now is in my daughter and I skin. Right now I'm in the library and the smell has come back. It makes my head hurt. It goes and it comes some time so strong like now, I cant take it Help!
I have had sporadic smells of burnt wood since last October. I thought it came from impurities in my home heating system, but no one else in my family experienced them. Now (seven months later) they seem to occur whenever I am around vented or processed air. They never happen when I am outside. I have no other strange neurological symptoms and my ENT is sending me for a brain MRI next week as due dilligence. Lately these smells make my throat dry, and irrititate my nose and eyes. I get scared silly when I think it could be caused by a brain tumor, but have found nothing on the internet as to the true "likelihood" of this being the case. Also, how likely would a brain tumor be to only cause sporadic smells that never happen outsides and are in the absence of other neurological symptoms. Any advice? Perhaps I will know in about 10 days anyway, and hopefully rule out brain tumors or anything else neurological. Thanks.
I have had a burning smell for 4 years on and off. Sometimes so bad I need to plug my nose and breathe though my mouth because it burns my nostrils. I am otherwise healthy and not on any meds. I saw and spoke with several doctors all with different opinions but nothing confirmed until last year I saw a new family doctor and he said it is a form of a MIGRAINE. He sent me for blood work and an MRI to rule out anything else and all clear. I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid but have had them somewhat under control for many years with eating clean food and good supplementation. I hope this helps others with worry or concern. Uncomfortable at times by nothing serious!
my nose has been running more than usual for about a year now.i have never suffered with a runny nose.but for about a year now i too have experienced the burning smell not just that it is so real that it almost inhabits you breathing.for a long time i thought it was real but like you all when i asked others could the smell it no to my surprize they couldnt.just to say i have had ten years of incredible needless stress. i have a son , my son now 11 i can only seem to account for 3 of those years my partner i have been with for 10 years i cant account for myself i am now 48 and wonder how did i get here.i find that things i own ,or work with seem to dissapear, or get broken,i took some time off work about 4 and when i went to work my work boots had been worn and were nerely worn out i text my friend who i work with and really accused him of swapping my workboots and laces for some old damaged ones.maybe about a year 5 years later i broke down and cried because i realised that these were my workboots and i had worn them out but could not account for the time scale that the ware on my boots had took, its like time has stood still i am functionig and moving but not actually aware of time.i did wonder if i had died and the burning smell was my death or a warning of my death.
I am a cancer survivor and I noticed that I was smelling smoke too. So, being a patient and all, my oncologist was a bit concerned and had me do a bunch of tests including scans and could not find the problem. The only thing the scans revealed with an issue with my sinuses.

So, he prescribed an antibiotic for sinusitis and lo and behold the smell went away!

Not that this is everyone's problem... But this was mine and it has gone away, hopefully for good.

btw, at one point I thought I started smelling sulphur. As a late stage cancer patient and a ex-catholic it was particularly concerning :)
I had the same problem for about three months. It was a burning dust type smell that only I would smell. It would wake me up at night. Vicks Vapor rub was always by my side. About two months ago, I started drinking more water (I used to not drink 8-8 oz glasses of water a day). I noticed that since increasing water intake, I don't have the problem anymore. Not saying that this is a cure for you; it worked for me. I will continue to watch this and see if I have the burning dust smell again, but so far, no more burning smell..
I just smelled that burning, phantom smell yesterday.I have been on xanax for 8 months.  I have been tapering down, trying to get off of it.  I take it for insomnia, but it hasn't been helping, which is why I am tapering down.  I got down to .8 mg a day (from 4 mg a couple of months ago) and decided 2 days ago to stop altogether.  Bad move.
I didn't sleep at all that night.  Yesterday morning, I was out of it after 36 hours of no sleep.  I was worried about siezures from xanax withdrawal (I had read about that).  At 10 AM, I started getting that burnt smell in my nose.  My wife said that happens sometimes before a seizure.  I immediately took .5 xanax, and the smell went away.
My question is, does anyone know what causes the smell?  Also, what does it mean when you get the smell but the seizure didn't happen?
And, has anyone here experienced this with Xanax?
Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing, reading all of these entries about washing your nose out with peroxide!  Our bodies have natural defenses, called "good bacteria".  If you try to remove all bacteria from your environment and your body, then you are also killing the good stuff.  One reason that so many people are becoming allergic, is because we are too clean.  Normal exposure to things like dirt creates antibodies in our bodies that keep us from getting sick.  Killing that natural defense just makes things worse, not better.

I have developed this same smoke smell over the past week, but I also suffer from a condition where my natural flora in my gut is depleted and at times, the bad bacteria gets out of control and I get very sick.  My doctor prescribed an antibiotic to kill the bad bacteria, but also suggested taking probiotics daily.  Taking the probiotics, has the gut issue under control and also fixed another issue I was having with recurrent yeast infections and bladder infections.  I too, use the Neti-pot occasionally, but it's very important NOT to use it when you think you have a sinus infection, because you are then, just distributing an active infection throughout your sinus cavity!  Also, don't put other things (other than salt) into your sinuses!  You have no idea how some of these so-called "natural" products are actually processed, their strength or concentration or even if they are actually what they say they are, because they are not regulated or inspected by the FDA.  Do the smart thing and go to a doctor and do what they tell you to do.  If that doctor is not able to help, find a specialist or someone who can help.  Just my two cents worth, Janet
Did anybody get the results back from their MRI???
I have smelled burning smoke or the smell of sulfur from a lit match for several years only when I am experiencing emotional trauma.  I do not necessarily believe in the paranormal but honestly it is bizarre.  My favorite grandmother smoked and so did her ********* husband.  They passed away a long time ago but this started about seven years ago.  At this point I can see the obvious connection between my distress and the smell but no one else can smell it.  

I do suffer from depression and at times feel extremely alone in my pain.  It is usually then that I smell the smoke which can last for days.  I am not on medication and eventually the episodes pass.  I am not bi-polar (seeing a therapist) but my extreme mood is reminiscent of that and I notice others with bi- polar having the same experience.  

My Mother and sister visit psychics and they have said that my grandmother watches over me and lets me know she is there with the smoke.  She also told them that I have something flat near my bed that was hers and is floral.  I told them that was not true and yet when I got home I looked in my nightstand and found my grandmother's heating pad in a floral fabric cover.  They did not know that and I had forgotten it was there.  I can't explain it but perhaps this story can help someone else understand who might have a similar circumstance.  I sort of think it is my grandmother letting me know I am not alone and to distract me from my distress?!?!  What else could it be?
I am some what comforted to know that there are like wise sufferers out there. I thought i must be going loopy! I keep smelling exhaust fumes all the time and when i ask others they cant smell anything!! Have had a lot of headaches lately and have had a thyriod condition for twenty four years, which is eratic. This exhaust fumes smell only started a month or so ago and i notice it most days but not all. Its driving me potty!!! help.
This started happening to me in 2007,at the time I was incarcerated and I started to notice unpleasent smells..(chemicals&garbage)but my first thoughts were it was just the environment I was in,but after a while the smells remained..at the time I was younger and embarrassed to say anything..4 years later same problem.I've been to several docters And they always tell me nothing! But one docter I came across said that he once had that same problem.He said he took an over the counter supplement called (zinc pills) he said that these pills worked for him..But I myself is still battling this issuue.Im 24years of age and this situation is totally overwhelming to me.
ANYBODY PLZ HELP
I have been on and off Geodon, Risperdal, Abilify and seem to get a burnt odor from Geodon, Minty wet misty odor from Risperdol, and clear alochol (kinda like the after taste of 99 bannanas from Risperdal.  I'm getting the burnt, and minty smell at the moment, I can't tell if it's from home meat cooking/consuming, or spinach, or someone may have slipped something into my food.  I'm also getting the side effects of Risperdal (the 1st day you take it with a migraine for the the last few days).  I don't have any mental conditions and the MRI shows its unremarkable for my head, I may have busted my nose boxing 14 years ago, but not sure if it's damaged, sinuses xray showed to be ok 4 years ago, verbally told by my doctor.  Some former friends/aqquintance(s) of mine duped me by wearing monster makers masks and convinced everyone I was delusional and allegedly had me court ordered to take these drugs that kinda effected my memory from the dopamine.
I started noticing the same burnt smell everyone is describing a few months ago. Something my tai chi master mentioned  makes me think that traditional chinese medicine may have the answer  - something about 5 elements and imbalances in these which are associated with different smells. I think Water is the one associated with a scorched smell. I haven't consulted a chinese medicine practitioner as yet so don't know for sure but TCM may both explain the phenomeon and offer a 'cure' if there is one
This started happening to me yesterday, I was at work - i work in an office where there are no bad smells- and started smelling a really chemical smell, at the same time a really bad headache started and I found that it was making me feel really sick, it is still happening now.  I kept asking a colleague sitting next to me if they can smell anything but I seem to be the only one who can smell this.  I have never gone to a doctor to ask if I am bi-polar or anything, but I have been depressed - with no one to talk to about my depression - for some years and I noticed that a lot of the people who have posted here have said they also suffer with depression, so maybe this could be something to do with it?

I was wondering if anyone could advise me if they think I should make a doctors appointment or wait for a few days and see if it continues before I do this?
Pray and Cast it out!...No one understands things that they can't see nor do they believe in them. But, to answer everyones question of what it is....it's not a Tumor nor Sinus issues...it's spirtual...the stinch of demonic presence...Doctors don't know, so as usual they label it. The reason I know is because I have a relationship with God (Jesus Christ) and he has revealed it to me through prayer and meditation. Spirits come and go.
I forgot to mention anything that creates fear in you is not of God. Do not fear!!...If you BELIEVE and cast it out "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST"...the smell, headache and/or burning throat will leave. I speak of what I have experienced to be true. If you don't believe what I'm saying or "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST",  nothing will happen, but if you desire a miraculous moment, then try God first before anyone else.

God Bless
God warns us about people who say the evil demonic things you are saying. Read the Bible, the whole Bible, stop listening to the false wolves. If what you think God is telling you does not line up with God's word, it is not from God or any good spirit, it is from the evil spirits.
I've had this problem for a year or so and it usually starts at the beginning of winter. It's kind of a dusty/musty old smell, sometimes kind of chemical. I can't remember if I had headaches last time, but I have been having them as of lately. The smell is often all I can smell.

Definitely try a Neti pot or a sinus rinse and see if there is something in your sinuses. Otherwise, I think it's totally possible that it may be the drying of the sinuses due to cold air. Think of how drastically people's bodies react to seasonal changes. Your skin might be velvety soft in the summer, but eczema might occur during the winter.

What keeps me from worrying that it is a tumor or something like that is that it comes and goes/is a seasonal thing. I can't recall it ever happening except for this time of the year. I'd like to believe that the chances of all of us having tumors is very unlikely. If you go onto webmd.com and do symptom checker, chances are that you will find a handful of symptoms that you feel like you have and it is going to freak you out. So good luck and don't worry too much, and if you really are worrying too much, make a doctors appointment and have some tests run on you.
I am having these same issues. All i smell is gas fumes. I am getting mad headaches. It wakes me up in the middle of the night because it's so bad. This is all I smell. Di you get help?
Same here - more of a mold like smell or as you put musty smell than smokey. Mine also just started a few weeks ago as fall and the colder weather came in. I wondered if it was related to our heating system as we have forced hot air and it really dries my nose out often to the point I get nose bleeds, but I'm the only one in the house who suffers this smell. I'm convinced it is sinus related and am going to try out some of the sinus infection remedies,
I could smell gas for a few weeks and felt weird too. No one else could smell it but me. I was so upset about it. It was really strong on one particular day and I thought what the heck and reported it to the gas board. You will never guess what...there was a tiny leak in the copper pipe under our boiler I kid you not. I was the only one who could smell it, but the gas was leaking very slowly and making me sick.

Having said that everyone ignored me really because I suffer from phantom smells like burning and stuff it goes with my neuro problems, but this time I actually was right lol.
The same thing happens to me, but its triggered by smoke odor if im making a fire in my woodstove or ride in a car that was smoked in ,or catch a downwind drift outside a bar. the burnt chemical smell in my nose can last days or weeks. Strange though if i push up on the end of my nose it stops im too shy to walk around all day that way.
I have been smelling a smell for about a week that smells as if a cigarette butt is smoldering under my nose. The smell seems to be 'phantom' as no one else smells it and is does not originate from my environment. It only comes from one nostril and is very strong, causing me to feel nauseated and extremely frustrated. I am not a smoker and no one in the family smokes. It is not the a/c or lack of an air filter or a ghost of a smoker saying hi, nor is it a demon attack. I have tried a neti pot with no relief. I had a cold about 6 weeks ago that turned into a mild sinus infection but i treated it with antibiotics. I have remained a bit stuffy but the really irritating thing is the smell. I see lots of comments but has anyone actually been seen and treated successfully by an ENT or other doctor?
hi there i am experieciing the same thing like a chemical weird  smell somt times it gets stronger than other times it also brings on emotions and i can cry all day long ,i though my menopuse ad gone, but 3 years ago all came bk with vengeance
I have had this occur in the past lasting only a few minutes. I have been on thyroid meds for 12 years. Yesterday my doctor increased my dosage and changed me from the generic to synthroid. This morning I experienced, not smoke, but an extremely intense cucumber smell which none of my family could smell. It lasted about 10 minutes. It occured approximately 15 minutes after taking my new thyroid medicine. I am wondering if it could possibly be either the medicine itself or my hormonal response to the medicine. Horomonal fluctuations in pregnant women (I am not one) have been known to cause strange phantom smells. It is interesting to me that so many of these posts involve a thyroid disorder.
I have had issue with a burning wood smell for over 6 months.  I had an MR to rule out a tumor and was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis.  But the odd thing is the smell will go away and then come back.  I have been trying to determine if I could find what is triggering it.  I have a suspicion that it may be linked to drinking green tea.  Wondering if anyone else out there has thoughts on this….
Weird. I have been smelling the burning smell off and on for a couple of months, but it's gotten significantly worse since I returned from a trip to India, where the air often smells smoky.  Anyone relate to this?
Interesting reading.
Yesterday I became aware of what I'd associate with burnt chips (fries to the Americans.) The thing is it's more of a "feeling", I'm not consciously inhaling air through my nose to get the scent, & if I do just that I realise there is no smell.

I almost asked my workmates if they could smell it, or if someone had burnt food in the kitchen.

So yeah, it's more the sensation of burning chips, or smoke.

Anyway, I'll maybe get checked out then based on some of the comments here. If anything's a warning from your body, a phantom smell of smoke would be a big one!
Sweet Jesus, this is a medical website isn't it?

Unless a few of you people are having a joke, you really think "unwavering belief in God" and praying daily can resolve something unexplainable happening to your body?

"Oh I can't see anymore, better recite twelve Hail Marys."
Not that your wrong about the smell of spirits/demons, but I usually smell this smell everyone is talking about near a computer. It seems like the motor is putting out the smell, then it gets stuck in my nose for a day or two.
I didn't know other people had this problem...wow. I have had the same issue going on for about 5-7 years. It seems like it is triggered by the heat in my computer motor (any computer that has been heated for a while) but it will last for days sometimes. It smells like a burning gas or cigarette smoke, actually combined. I think it is something in the food we eat that comes out from our pores. The wierd thing is no one else smells it, but to me it is so overwhelming. The smell is stuck in my nose for days, then dissipates suddenly.  
I've smelled what appears to be a lit match (in the "cigarette smell" posts do people really mean a lit match?) three times in about a year. It's always been while urinating & it's clear to me that it's either my urine alone or something in the toilet water combined with my urine.
It's better to talk to a doctor, though, than to take advice from us.
Over Easter i fell off my bike and hit the back of my head...who know's how i fell that way off my bike but anyway...I fractured my skull and had a subdural haematoma.  I had only the normal symptoms related to a major concussion shortly after and then out of nowhere in the 3rd week of my recovery this smell appeared.  It is nearly impossible to describe to people what it smells like but 1 person kind of described theirs as a sweet smokey smell...that is pretty spot on for me.  It takes over nearly all smell unless i hold perfume right to my nose and sniff like i've never sniffed before :)...then i get a bit of the scent.  I have read a lot of what people have said on different forums and seen that head trauma can cause this but the olfactory part of my brain was not injured, only the site part...and my site is fine.  Has anyone had a similar situation?  did you get follow up Cat or MRI scans? and did they give you anymore information?
Cheers enjoy your smells...:)
SO get this.... I smell good smells.....like I swore my husband was cooking pot pie....there was nothing in the oven.... I smelt pizza at work.....there was no one eating.......I thought my husband was cooking something else another time but he wasnt........why am I smelling these yummy smells that are not there. Like all I want to do is breath in deeply when I smell these smells but there is no food being cooked nor has the food im smelling been cooked or near me anytime that was soon.
Thank you eyes4dh and your mother for your post (see below).  I had a similar experience in late winter - early spring.  I live in So. Cal. and that is the start of allergy season.  I had begun working in a new location close to the airport, refinery, power plant, and waste treatment plant.  I am now sure that the stress, pollution, and allergens set this off for me.  The smelling smoke symptom was most noticeable when I was sitting at my desk working (no other smells or distractions).  I new this wasn't brain related when I realized other smells or eating would override the smoke smell symptom.

I used your remedy (Loratadine - ingredient in Alavert) and saline solution (Ocean) rinses.  The smoke smell started to go away after a few days.  What I think worked even better was when I used some of my wife's Fluticasone Propionate (Flonase ingredient) over a couple of days.  That stuff is magic for allergy suffers.

It was very disconcerting to go online and search this symptom and the first thing you see is brain tumor.  I saw another post from a person that gets this symptom and later gets a sinus infection, so they were taking antibiotics as soon as the smoke smell started.  They might want to try the Loratadine or Fluticasone first to stop the allergy stuff first.  Allergy symptoms lead can cause sinus infections later.  Stopping the allergy symptoms could save them from going onto antibiotics.

From: eyes4dh

Apr 08, 2010
To: All
I might have something that can HELP!!

I'm glad I'm not alone!  My smells started a couple of year ago - 1st I kept smelling bacon and maple syrup - I would smell it at work, in my car,everywhere and couldn't figure it out - but then the smell changed to more of a burnt / chemical smell - almost like computer wires were smeldering together somewhere - now for the past year its a definitely a chemical smell but kind of fruity and sweet and it is so strong I can't believe that no one else smells it - I thought it was coming out of  my pores at first, but I ask my kids when the are sitting next to me and they can't smell it.  I wish I could figure out where it is coming from, or what is causing it.  Has anyone had their MRI? Please post if you get one or find out anything.  
I have had this for a while now.. at least a few months.

I only thought about it lately. I smelt it after a big night out drinking days later.

Now I get it a bit now. Its very mild. I seem to smell it on my fingers like I am a smoker! But I am not. I also get it when I rub my nose or my head.

I think its in our heads. I did have a MRI done for another issue (headaches) and a CT scan of the sinuses. ALL CLEAR, including my wallet.

Hey, someone mentioned green tea. I had an episode tonight after drinking green tea. I don't think its the green tea but maybe all types of teas.

Can you report back with if you drink tea? Hey its crazy but so is this whole smelly shenanigans!
I had that same smoke smell along with bad breath for almost two years . After many visits to the ent, allergist and primary doctor no one could figure it out.  About seven months ago, I figured out  where the bad breath was coming from. I rubbed my finger along side my wisdom tooth and omg..the smell was horrible. I had the tooth removed and a few months later after my gum healed the smoke smell went away..thank God. My wisdom tooth was impacted and the decay was below the gumline. The dentist had over looked the problem.I believe the smoke smell was a signal from the brain letting you know something is wrong.Youre not crazy something is wrong. I hope this helps. God bless you.
Just read your post and although it has been awhile, I am interested in knowing what you have discovered.  I have this musty weird smell also, it just started a few weeks ago and is driving me nuts.  I am a former lung cancer survivor, so naturally i think the worst, but my CT scan showed I was all clear.  Also, mine has been associated with extreme itching primarily on my head, breast area and back.  Love to hear back...
I've had this for a while, and it bugs me. I've realised by accident what triggers it though, and it's cooking food in my frying pan. I don't realise it at teh time I'm cooking, but usually half an hour or so later. So I'm starting to think that a 'fatty' aroma lingers in the air and maybe gets lodged in my nose somehow. Restaurants often trigger it too. If I avoid restaurants and frying food in my house, the smell goes completely.
Wow!! To think other people have this too. I must share with you all that I have a very rare disease called Behcets disease. I'm guessing it's one of the many things that happens with Behcets. After many years and 12 different doctors I finally got a diagnosis. Have your doctor do a DNA mapping and look at marker 51. Please let me know if they find anything.
Hmmm…Now that a few people are mentioning it, I have been drinking Kombucha tea (fermented) since this burnt wood smell started.  I also notice it in the living room (where I keep, and use my laptop), but it's not really noticeable in the rest of my home.  I'll move the laptop out and see if it makes any difference.  Will post again if it does.  Amazing how many people have this.
Thank you for posting, did you feel you could not get a good breath of air sometimes when you had the smell?
No, but I'm glad to hear that you have had some relief.
I was saying no to the person posting about the Everglades Seasoning.  I wonder if there is a specific herb in the seasoning?
I really appreciate the forums I have been on for smoke smell and I have tried many of the things people posted to see if it would help for me no luck. I have been smelling smoke for over a year now and I have documented the days that are worse along with the MANY specialist I have gone to. I have had brain scan, MRI, xrays of the back and neck gone to allergist, Eye Ear and Nose specialist, Neurologist, MD’s, Endocrinologist, and blood test after blood test. The Neurologist was interesting after more than $1,000.00 of test he determined I was having simple seizures. After many seizure meds it did not help, not one bit. Then I went to another well known Neurologist he said no way I do not have simple seizures. I don’t believe it is stress either because I have a wonderful life. My symptoms were smoke smell, brain fog, sometimes eyes burned, coughing on bad spells and just down right frustrated.  OK BINGO two weeks ago I took sudefed for my  sever drippy nose guess what smoke smell gone. After a week I went off sudefed guess what yes smoke smell. I am back on sudefed no smell or at least just a little bit of smoke smell. I don’t want to stay on sudefed all my life, I don’t like the way if makes me feel. Yet I would rather feel this way than have the smoke smell and what I call the dumb down feeling that goes with it. I now feel responsible to post on the forms that helped me the most. I am determined to heal completely somehow. I sure wish there was a doctor that could help.
A friend of mine complain of burning wood smell for 2 wks. It was the beginning of multiple seizures.
Concerning "phantom smells", consider having your GP order a current thyroid level (TSH), B12 level, iron level, vitamin D levels.
I smell smoke and im13 it's scaring Me help me please
I have stopped taking pradaxa and am now using coumarin for my heart problem.  The smell of wood smoke has left.  What a releif.  I started using pradaxa last March and I noticed a burning smell shortly after I started this medication, but did not tie the two together.  It may just be a coincidence, but may have been the problem for me.
These comments are so interesting!  I've been smelling smoke for several months now, but it's not an unpleasant smell at all, just kind of like a warm candle.  I thought it was my scented wax warmer, until I realized I smell it at work, too.  I will mention it to my doctor (rheumatologist) this week, for the record, but I have little expectation that she'll have any ideas.  I guess if it continues for another few months, until my next visit, I will ask for a referral to an ENT.  The smell itself doesn't bother me at all, but the thought that it might mean something serious is kind of scary.  But I'm always afraid of being a hypochondriac!
For about a week I've been smelling smoke / burning which is quite strong and is making my nose fell like it's stinging. I saw my Doctor who percribed antibiotics and a nasal spray which don't seem to be working.
I'm worried sick in case it's a symptom of a brain tumor.
I also suffer with Tinnitus in one ear and when looking on the Internet that was also a symptom of a tumor too.
My doctor knows I'm a worrier and I'm concerned she's not taking me seriously because when I asked about a Brain Tumor, she said, if you hear hooves why think its a Zebra and not a Horse :(
Hi Jayjay

I`d stop the antibiotics because I think thats what caused my phamtom smoke smell and loss of traditional smell, at the moment I cant smell a whole lot of anything except smoke. Before I took antibiotics prescribed by my local quack my sense of smel was normal enough, now I`d have to have my nose in the stuff before I could smell anything. In some ways its a god send because I can`t get all those nasty smells we encounter in our daily lives..!!

Bren
I have joined a list of people having this unpleasant nose smelling experience--mine started about three weeks ago, and just last week my GP placed me on anti-biotics for a week, but this did not work.
The high pitch coffee burning sentation is giving me a lot of stress---please come to my aid for I am stressed up.

Oddikro
Speak to a good clinical psychologist/GP as some specialists quite simply put this kind of phantom smell down to a "form of  psychosis" in order to steer you onto a path towards medication. In my experience this phantom smell can be due to symptoms following
1. Brain injury
2. Brain operation
Have a look at your history and get an MRI sooner than later.
Hi. I've been having this as well, for about 4 weeks now. My throat gets dry and i feel like i'm swallowing the "smoke". It is bizarre. Have you gotten it checked out? I'm getting freaked out and about to begin a 10 day juice fast to try and fix whatever it is that's causing it. It began with just this faint smell, kind of like electronics and ashes, combined. Hard to describe. Sometimes it's just a waft here and there, other times it's constant - especially at night. I have to put good smelling lotion on my hands at night and just sniff them to fall asleep! My husband doesn't smell it and thinks I'm cracking up. What in the world is this?
I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was wondering if anyone else has as well.  My smell is acrid but tolerable and comes and goes.
Did anyone ever figure out what the problem was? I recently started smelling burnt wires or chemicals and I am rather disturbed and concerned. The thought of tumours etc is scary, don't even want to see a doctor.
Did you ever find out what caused your smell?  I have just withdrawn from Fluoxetine, under a doctor's care, and suspect it may have caused my moldy and/or burning smell that are with me all day long.  Did you ever get your problem resolved.  I would appreciate your help!
***@****
I have recently started taking an antidepressant and also take a Dr. prescribed diet med. The combination of the two cause me to have a phantom smell I can only describe as "freon". Metallic and bitter. It's the strangest feeling and only occurs with the meds.
I'm 21 and I have high blood pressure, been taking Amlodipine and Atorvastatin since last year but I stopped it for a while and now i'm back on it due blood pressure increase. 2 months ago I suddenly had this smoke smell, I didn't think anything because I did have them before, I can't remember if they started after I started Amlodipine and Atorvastatin. but this time it was followed by a horrible panic attack, something I never felt before, i was very scared of dying. Since then same thing happened at least twice but I didn't panic as bad as before or sometimes I don't panic at all like today I had the smoke smell but no panic, my eyes and face felt warm. Sometimes I feel as if someone is throwing rain drops on me, sometimes I feel headache and head pressure, I'm feeling very tired and sick since the burning smell and panic attack, I'm afraid this will never go away. When I tell the doctors they look at me as if I'm crazy or something.
Having suffered too, I read on this forum that someone had found that it was a symptom of dehydration. Since reading that, I have consciously been drinking as much water as I can stomach and haven't suffered that dreadful smell since. I had preiously spent about 9 months convincing myself that I had a brain tumour yet it was something so simple that not even a doctor could give me a cure. So, thank you wise forumer and I suggest that everyone try this ..... it's improved the standard of my life immensely :-)
Hi I've recently starting experiencing a burning smell on and off day and night.  Sometimes so strong, I have to get up and check that my house isn't on fire as I have a woodburning stove.  This is not the source of the smell though as I get it outside, in the car and at other people's homes. I am also going on a juice fast next week, after I have a weekend away on a course, when it won't be possible.  At the same time I am doing a herbal cleanse (from Nature's Sunshine Products).  I've used it about 15 years ago and it was very good.  I have also increased my water intake as one of the more recent posts from Karandrews suggests that this may be a factor. I am really hoping that the smell will go as a result.  How did it go with you and your juice feast (prefer that term to juice fast)
Can I ask you something Jacob.  Is your high blood pressure due to being overweight?  If so, you really need to lose the weight first and foremost.  Whether it is or not, I suggest that you take up meditation as it will help with both the blood pressure and the panic attacks.  Plus, when you have been doing it for a while, try to stop the meds because of the side effects, long-term dependency and the adverse effect on your overall health or you will become a willing victim of the pharmaceutical industry for the rest of your life.  Remember that more people die from pharmaceutical medication, in the States, than from all other diseases and illnesses put together!! Think about it and do the right thing by your precious body.  Good luck, friend
For the record, I have also had long term meds in the past and suffered from panic attacks, but, now that I have a great largely raw food diet and i practise meditation, I have been off meds for years, am extremely well and happy and enjoy great vitality and overall health.....and I'm nearly 60 years old!!!
Hello Rawannelise, I am slightly overweight and I do not believe that is the reason for my high blood pressure, but I think losing weight will surely help a little. Also my mom and dad have high blood pressure, it must be genetics for me. I have anxiety problems too, I believe this contributes to my high blood pressure. Since my last post I haven't feel any panic attack coming and I'm feeling much much better now, and the rain drops sensation on my skin is almost completely gone. But the blood pressure meds are really horrible, my main problem with it is fatigue but I can handle it for now.

About the burning/smoke smell, this may sound weird but last week I ate Quaker oatmeal after some days not eating it, a couple of hours later I had the burning/smoke smell again on and off, and felt a little sick too. I used to eat oatmeal a lot, everyday, it might be just a coincidence. I didn't eat oatmeal since that day and I did not have any burning/smoke smell and I'm feeling normal.

I hope to not get sick again like I've been the last 3 months, this was a really horrible experience to go through at this age. Good luck to you all!
I have been having the smoke smell on and off for some time now, like maybe over two years. Recently I started taking Paxil again for stress, anxiety and depression. The smell is back with a vengeance now with a very odd twist; it seems that the smell comes on strong when I enter a room we recently painted. My wife does not smell anything and after I left the window open for several hours to clear out the smell she commented on how fresh and clean the room smelled! For me, the smell was so overwhelming I had to leave! The smell is an acrid, chemically smell. Completely unpleasant and sickening. How can entering a room cause such a reaction!? Is it the color? Is it the memory of the smell of the paint distorted by my olfactory nerves? I know that smell memory is the strongest memory we have but this is ridiculous! Nevertheless, it seems to be related to what my other senses are telling me. I can even 'think' myself into smelling the odor - like now, that I'm writing about it. I need to call my ENT...
I've had the burning smell thing now for the last few nights.  This is the first time I've had this happen.  I can't believe no one has an answer..or that there are so many different possibilities.
When this started I thought my neighbor was standing outside his house smoking a cigarette. It hasnt gone away and I still smell it at work. I thought it was possibly the pollen, since it was very bad this year. I do have hypothyroidism, some slight depression issues(nothing new or worrisome) and now I have the burning sensation on my skin. My right knee feels like I have sunburn and there's no redness or swelling, just an extreme burning sensation and its worse when touched on bare skin. Am I going crazy??
After I had this "smell" for a while, I went to the Oncology Dept at a hospital (long story short) and they discovered I had a brachial cleft cyst (probably spelled wrong). The doc drained some fluid from my neck and the smell went away. He said it would come back unless I have the brachail cleft surgically removed. That was about 5-6 months ago. The smell was gone for about 3 months. Now it is back.
This is an outright attack on you by cowards who hide themselves and prey on people by cutting down oxygen levels in our homes and places we work in order to promote cancer growth and other such insidious disease so that their agenda be brought to fruition. Their goal is is to kill. It is here as it always has been ****** being pimped to promote some agenda.
Phantom smells can be the side effect of some medication.
I have had this a couple of years now. I think I found out what it is. It may be a dehydration issue. When this occurs, I can drink 32oz of Gatorade and then a liter of bottled water and continue to drink as much water as I can for the day and it goes away and stays gone as long as I stay hydrated. If I wait too long to hydrate the burn smell becomes so intense that I get a headache. If I tackle this at the slightest hint of smoke smell with lots of water I can eliminate it rather quickly.
My problem started in January. Had a sinus/allergy/cold so tried simply saline aerosol to clean out sinuses.  Lost my sense of smell and taste.  Got another sinus/allergy problem in June, went to doctor, diagnosed with Bronchitis.  Took Zpac for 7days, started getting metallic taste.  Then started on Losartan for high blood pressure.  Now have metallic taste in mouth sometimes and this awful burning smell like burnt coffee,or bacon, & electronic scorched smell all rolled into one.  Hard to describe. I can't smell anything else, not even a dead skunk!! I think I'll try drinking a lot of water and see what happens.
I have been having this for about a month. It is a burnt wood/chemical smell, it first started with me loosing all sense of smell and now I have this burnt smell instead, annoyingly it is effecting the taste of food too, lots of food taste like burnt wood. It all started when I used green ginseng, it made my nose fizz but didn't think much of it at the time, then the loss of smell and now burnt wood smell, so I would think it does have something to do with sinus problems, have just started using a nasal spray from the doctor to try and see if that helps, but 1 week on and no change. I have recently been diagnosed with myositis, as I have been having fatigue and muscle issues (like ME/CFS symptoms) for about 3 years so not sure if for me its linked to that, will keep you posted.
Sicko123 - Of all the posts here, your description comes closest to my experience. How odd that you mentioned the thought of your computer's heat triggering the smell because I've been thinking the very same thing. This has been going on with me for about 4 months. My husband passed away about 6 mos ago and the stress of it all sent me into a cigarette smoking frenzy. I smoked for about 2 months before I got a grip on myself and quit. But I noticed the smell starting during the time I was smoking (although at that point I just attributed it to actually smelling real cigarette smoke) I haven't touched a cigarette for several months now but that scent is still there, stronger than ever. I smell it just about every day off and on and I can swear that it seems strongest when I'm at my laptop. Go figure. Other articles I've read point to brain tumors but as a previous poster mentioned, it's rather unlikely that we all have brain tumors. I'd say the sinus infection seems the likeliest explanation. Still, I'm thinking an MRI might be in order.
For me it started yesterday...It smells like something is burning and sometimes like cables are burning..no one else can smell it...The smell comes and goes..And also I can smell a male perfume almost all day that no one in my family owns.
It is freaking me out!
Hi there, I have just started with the smoke smells, and I as well am on Topamax for my migraines along with injections. But I thought I was losing my mind, cause no one in my home smokes, and we live in the country, so we have no neighbors. I mean it is so bad, its like I am in a bar, with the smoke smell. It is very disruptive, due to I also have bronchial asthma. I don't know what else to do about this,. With the stories, I have read on here about going to the doctor, I am not sure it will do any good to go see one,. I am just glad to know I am not crazy or have a ghost in my home!!! LOL... But would love to get rid of it, I am on an allergy pill as well, and that is not working either.

Thank you
I don't smell smoke- I smell gun oil, actually smell it right now, and I don't smell it all day just for a minute or two throughout the day. I've also smelled hot coco, flowers, burnt plastic, and a chemical odor. I have both a thyroid and allergy problem, I take nothing for it but the occasional dayquil or otc headache for allergy, nothing at all for thyroid and am totally stumped by these smells.
I started with the burning smell about 5 years ago. I had an MRI scan of the base of my skull to rule out a tumour. I then consulted a homeopath who prescribed sulphur 30. I buy mine in Whole Foods now. I just let 3 of the tiny pills melt on my tongue over 24 hours and this usually works for me. I don't know what causes mine as I have hypothyroidism treated with levothyroxine and I suffer from regular bouts of sinusitis. It is a very unpleasant smell - acrid. I was looking for a fire the first time I had it - it woke me up in the early hours of the morning.

Katie

Possibly the smell of the knats hatching on your person or in your nasal track. This is a warning!!
Wash your hair frequenty and cough from your gut when it burns your throat also use visine or other
artificial tears in your eyes. Evil plot by someone who wants to get rid of you, maybe not
for good, but for certain at the time that you are aware of the smell. Could be from your ventilation
system in your home or wherever you smell the "smoke". Beware if you have central air systems located
outside your home, that are easily assessible from city sidewalk. Take sips of apple cider vinegar once a
day to keep your natural body defenses in working order. Clean your home surfaces with bleach or another
good cleaner is Scrubbing Bubbes kills 99.9 % germs and bacteria. It's not your imaination, someone wants
you out of the way.  Keep your friends close, and know who your enemies are.

God Bless!
So I've also been having phantom smells but my smell is not of cigarettes, smoke, chemicals, burning wood or anything else burning...I smell freshly brewed tea. It smells really good so I haven't really thought much about seeking help for it. It's been going on for about 2 plus months & it's gotten to the point where I smell it every day, sometimes multiple times a day (I smell it right now). The past few days I've been getting mild headaches (& I don't normally get headaches) but so mild that I don't even bother taking anything for them. I don't recall having any sinus issues around the time I started selling these smells, am not depressed & don't have anything going on with my thyroid.

I think I'll seek the advice of a neurologist since I've started having headaches  too (assuming these aren't "phantom" headaches!) but does anyone else smell tea? I would love to hear about your experience!
I have spoken with a Neurologist and he said that Phantosmia (phantom smoke) is usually a temporal lobe problem and the smell is a partial seizure which can eventually lead to larger seizures.  He also said to rule out (or in) tumors or seizures you need to have at the very least an MRI and a sleep deprived EEG.  I will be having mine done this week and into next week.  Good luck to all who are still searching for their answers (as I am still, too).
I have just recently started smoking vapor instead of cigarettes and I thought I was just getting my taste and smell back.  There have been things that haven't been right though. You have described everything that I have been smelling. I was just wondering if you have frequent headaches? I have had the headaches several years before the burning and other smells.
I smell wood burning often and it always makes me go around the house looking to see what's burning. As usual I never find anything burning. It can sometimes be a bit embarrassing when it happens somewhere other then in my home. I have never had a seizure, nor do I think I have a tumor. Sometimes the smell is so intense that my throat actually burns. Is there anyway to stop this from occurring? I have tried a netty pot and that did not work, also a saline spray, nothing.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mine is exactly like what you have described.  It's triggered if I'm around smoke, like a bbq pit or if bon fire, etc.  If I push up on my nose or pinch the bridge I don't smell it.  Mine lasts about two weeks then goes away.  I experience it about 2 or 3 times a year.  It started when I entered menopause and my thyroid was slightly off.  I take a low dose of synthroid 6 days a week.  It's not there when I first get up in the mornings but after about 2 hrs it starts and will last all day.  Don't smell it if I awake during the night.  Smoke smells trigger it!!
i went to see a shoman, spirt guide, and he freaked me out he said that i was smelling theses smoke smells becauce i had a enity around my house and it was following me, after reading about it with so many people i feel better about it. the shoman chared me $450 to blesse and smoke me and my house. i still am smelling the smoke. i guess ill go see a doctor next. it scares me alot. what if it is a enitty, how do i get reid of it? Iam scared, julia
I've been smelling burnt smoke for the past few weeks with associated headaches.  First doc I spoke to advised that it could be temporal lobe epilepsy and to stop driving immediately as this was a forward indicator from the brain of an impending seizure or stroke.  6 weeks on and as far as I'm aware, no seizure or stroke.  

The smell went away for about 2 weeks and is now back in a big way and its is very unpleasant.  It makes me feel nauseous and I can't taste food at all.  Headaches do continue but more prevalent at night time than during the day and I have no smell of burnt wood or headaches until around about midday.

I've made an appointment with a neurologist, first of all to exclude the potential for a tumor, (so an MRI will be needed) and then to work out what to do from here.  If its temporal lobe epilepsy then I will probably lose my job as I drive a lot for my company and the rules are clear - any epilepsy diagnosis and your license is revoked.  

(......Also, just ordered an neti-pot based on the advice on here and will see what happens, I'll try anything that at least takes some of the smell away).
I have this too i get the smell of burning or friction burning but mostly when i am relaxing on a evening , i had a head injury about 10 months ago and it was soon after this that i noticed it .
It dosnt really bother me but find it odd almost like theres a ghost in my house

It seems to be happening more very strange it is
Like so many I have been smelling smoke related smells for years. It started off as a fleeting light smell of cigarette smoke and then became pungent wood burning, now smells more chemical like an exhaust from an old car. I've had 2 MRI scans and have a cyst in my sigmoid sinus which may have a bearing. I also have Gilbert syndrome which is a high bilirubin level in the blood.
I try to ignore the smelling of odd things especially since there is the absence of any firm treatment. I'm currently taking zinc supplements as my consultant recommended them as they may help but so far no joy.
You have my sympathies.... all of you who suffer!
Hi, I have asthma and take Qvar, I have experienced this smell off and on for the duration of my medication (several years now) I do know that one of the side effects is an unpleasant smell. Does anyone else who take medication for asthma experience this musty metallic smell?
What ever happened? I just started smelling manure for no reason.
I had the acrid smoke smell recurring for several years. I was reading through this forum and others when I saw someone post about the Flip Turn Sinus Flush and what got my interest up was that the smell had come back after I had a sinus infection. That stuck out to me. I found another reference to it and read through it carefully, several times. I bought the supplies at the discount store (about $3). I read the instructions again. Then I did (1-2 times a day) it and the smell was gone within a week. I was thrilled and wanted to share in case you were still suffering. http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush
I have this smell, once or twice a year, usually in spring and fall.  I have almost no sense of smell normally so it freaked me out that maybe it was me, but one day I was in the shower, literally covered head to toe in soap and shampoo suds, and the stench was still overwhelming.  I realised it probably wasn't BO, and as nobody else was complaining about it, realised it was probably something going on internally.

Last year it was particularly bad, I almost couldn't eat, but my partner, who has a VERY sensitive nose, said he couldn't smell anything.  The smell "feels" like it's coming from above and behind my uvula...which is where your adenoids (adenoids) are.

I went to the doctor, and explained my symptoms; she said her daughter used to get this really awful stench coming out of her mouth/nose, followed by a fever, and then it would go away.  Several years later she had her tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed, and her adenoids (adenoids) apparently looked pretty grungy.

A course of antibiotics worked for me; sinus flushing doesn't, which makes sense if you have some sort of adenoid infection.

I haven't had any imaging done yet, but while surgery is a possibility, I don't believe it's a good idea at my age, especially for something that I CAN suffer though.  It's gross, though.

This year I have smell; not as bad as previously, but now I also have some really horribad smelling post nasal discharge that sometimes hits the back of my tongue and is absolutely DISGUSTING, so I am pretty convinced of an infection.

I'm just glad nobody else is complaining of smelling this, because it's completely disgusting.

Another thought for some of you, tonsilloliths, although I know that that is NOT my problem.
Lyme patients experience this all the time.  You aren't smelling something this isn't there- you just have a heightened sense of smell.  I bet you can smell gas leaks and are sensitive to chemicals?  It's a lymies superpower.  It has saved my life many times and I know if I smell smoke- it's because something IS burning- other people just can't smell it.

PS   SMOKERS HAVE NO SENSE OF SMELL- so if you are telling a smoker that you can smell something burning- they won't be able to tell you if it's true- that is why so many smokers die in fires- they can't smell the smoke that normally wakes you up.

I can smell natural gas- mold- chemicals- electrical outlets burning inside walls ect.  The fire dept loves me.  :)  The gas company calls me "the nose"- I'm 100 % correct all the time.
I have a smell which comes and goes and at times is unbearable...In fact yesterday was so bad I called the fire dept to come sniff my place...The smell I get is like burning motor oil and often lasts for several days...This time is it worse than normal and this is now the third day...I do have asthma and COPD but only take med's PRN...Right now am not taking any...Was glad to find this forum and to learn there are others who have similar experiences...
I have been having phantom smells for a while now.  5 yrs ago it was a disgusting rotten fish smell. I used the netti pot many times a day. eventually, it went away.  For the past month now I have been smelling burning wood.  I am a smoker and have been for over 30 yrs and I have a great sense of smell. I don't know who told you that smokers could not smell, but that is false.  anyway, I have a deviated septum that I have had forever.  I used to use nasal sprays way too much.  actually burned a hole in my nose.  this time the smell came at the same time as a bad cold.  the smell of burning wood is still there though.  I do believe it is sinus disease.  I had a CT scan about 3 yrs ago and was told I have that.  I am going to ask my dr to take another CT scan and compare it to the old one.  will let you know what they say
forgot to add that I have no usual signs of a sinus infection.  No runny or stuffy nose, no pain in my face, no fever, etc.  It is as if my sinus' drain into my head instead of out my nose because of this 'sinus disease'.  A CT scan should show if it is dental or sinus.  it can be very scary to google this symptom.  most of it is doom and gloom.  
Wow! I just Googled  "Burning smell", not really expecting to see so many other people having the same. This is the second time in a year I have experienced this. It vanished after having it for about a week, but now it's back again but much more intense. I though it had something to do with asprin because it came on the first time after taking lots of asprin for headaches. I took some Anadin Extra the other day and the smell is back.

This could all coincidence, and the only way to tell is to stop the asprin. I'm going to try the water drinking thing now. If this doesn't work then I'm going to buy some Sudafed tomorrow. The smell has taken over my taste buds also. Everything tastes metalic. It's just a nightmare.
It seems like different remedies work for different people.  I now swear by my $14 neti pot, which had an immediate positive effect.  I guess any number of things can get into our sinuses, and whatever I rinsed out was causing the burning smell.  I am surprised--I actually thought the neti pot was a joke, and only bought it because I was desperate to try anything and it was on sale.  I am just so relieved not to smell smoke/smoldering any more.  Thanks everyone for sharing your remedies--one of them saved the day for me!  I'll post an update if my relief is short-lived : )
I just experienced this last night. I woke suddenly from my sleep, sat up and screamed.  The smell was more of a chemical/bleach type.  I was convinced for a few minutes that someone was trying to kill me in my sleep.  Then after a quick look around, being dizzy and disoriented, I realized that no one else was in the room.  I thought I was going to either faint or throw up the smell was so strong.  I ran to the bathroom and rinsed my nose out with water.  After a few minutes the smell went away, but I couldn't get back to sleep.  Everytime I got close, I felt like I quit breathing and would wake again gulping for air. It didn't matter what position I was laying either.  I know you posted this like 4 years ago, but did you ever find out what the issue was or get a solution. The experience was so scary, I really do not want to go through it again.
I am a non-smoker who despised cigarette smoke.  I grew up with it and won't have it in my house now as an adult.  I have been suffering with a burning smell for 2 years now.  It showed up immediately after a camping trip and I believed it was that campfire was stuck inside my nose! haha!   I lived with it for a few weeks until I couldn't take it anymore.  I went to a seasoned ENT doctor who rinsed out my nasal cavities and prescribed me a steriod and round of antibiotics.  It didn't get rid of the smell.  He had me do a couple of smell tests which I passed with flying colors.  He ordered an MRI that only provided me with information that I have a deviated septum.  Nothing at all was found and he didn't know what else to do.  He printed out some literature about having phantom smells; a key factor in the literature for me was how it explained that people get so depressed having these smells that they commit suicide.  I can understand that for sure, but couldn't leave my kids without a mother.  The doctor recommended using a netti pot twice a day which helps for about an hour afterwards.  It went away for about 5 months and I felt like I was normal again only to have it re-surface and go away and re-surface and then go away.  After reading everyone's posts, it seems that it could be from a lot of different things and have a lot of different outcomes.  I do find that when my diet is particularly poor and when I eat too much sugar, it seems to come back immediately.  I can't help but feel like it is my body screaming at me that something is wrong; like a warning WARNING WARNING!  I went to get a check up and brought it up to my regular practitioner who prescribed me a daily steroid nasal spray.  It still goes away and comes back for periods of time.  Currently I have it and it is really really bad.  I fasted for half a day and the next day it was gone.  When I started eating again, it came back.  Maybe get tested for diabetes?  I am 100 pounds overweight.  If that is the cause I will write again.
Thanks for reading my story!
There is a lot of info about thisonline.  I learned that most of the time it's nothing to worry about.  Julie.

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=Phantosmia&s_it=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8&VR=3430
I am joining this website only so that I can comment on this thread because I went through this years ago and thought I was going crazy! Two words: memory foam! I started smelling smoke after I bought a memory foam topper for my mattress. It went on for months. I thought I was inhaling fumes from my car from my daily commute until I finally stumbled upon articles about other people constantly smelling smoke after sleeping on memory foam. I removed the topper, put in my guest room for a few days and shut the door and I felt much better... but could still smell smoke. When I finally got rid of it, the smell was gone within days and it has NEVER returned. It's been over 5 years now. :)
It's possible a neighbor is using drugs, heating it up before they take whatever it is. Creates a burning chemical smell.
I would be very interested in the outcome of your situation if you happen to follow up with a doctor. My husband is a cancer survivor and he has recently begun to have episodes of phantom smells. He describes the odors quite similar to the ones you mentioned. I have heard of the possibility of brain tumors, but as I can have a tendency to overreact where his health is concerned I would appreciate any further input you can provide
Wow I can't believe it I bought a memory foam topper on dec. 2013 and 2 weeks ago I started smell smoke , thank you 4 sharing your comment and for sure today I'm gonna take it off my bed.
Im so glad i'm not alone with this.  I was reluctant to tell anyone in my famiy for fear they'd think I was nuts.  I'm off to buy saline nasal spray and will try that.
Like when your dentist grinds your teeth is the perfect description! It's not necessarily bad.. but way off, and not nice. I hate it! Don't know what to do.
yes so happy i looked this up, because i am getting a smell like wood stove or someone is burning there fire and its coming in my front room, guys i still smell food and anything perfect its just when i get in doors it hits me, i thought it was my smoking even i smoke 5 a day max.. i have a M.R.I SCAN on the 12 dec 2014 so in a few weeks i will DEFINETLY let you guys know wheather they find anything that can shed light on this smell,I ALSO have the smell of gone off butter when i eat toast about ten min after.... sometimes after a milk coffe... could it be a dairy issue?....NEXT POST WILL BE 13TH DEC 2014 A DAY AFTER I DO M.R.I WITH RESULTS, this forum help me to know i am not alone thanks