Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Phlegm Build-Up

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Phlegm Build-Up

For approximately the last 10 months, I have been having a problem with a chronic cough.  It appears to stem from excess phlegm.  Just prior to this problem surfacing, I had a severe cold with a cough that would be cause me to vomit large amounts of phlegm.  After the cold passed, the cough never seemed to completely go away.  Most days I will have a coughing spell that will not pass until I have vomitted up the phlegm (approximately the size of the palm of my hand).  This is pretty much daily. I have been to a general practitioner who has tested for respiratory disorders.  We have tried an inhaler for chronic bronchitis (with no success) and he has also tried treating me for acid reflux with a prescription called Aciphex.  Nothing seems to be working and I am getting a bit discouraged.  Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.  I work in an office environment and know it must bother my co-workers.  Answering the phones has become a nightmare, as I never know when a coughing fit will surface.  I look forward to your expert advice.
A chronic cough can be a side effect of a group of medicines used to treat high blood pressure called angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.  In a person who has a normal chest x-ray and who doesn
do you feel phlegm stuck in your chest that made you want to cough deeply?
or do you feel the urge to cough because your phlegm already sits in your throat?
do you have problem breathing?
do you feel expanding your chest a problem?
and do you feel itchy or discomfort in your chest/airways?
did you cough up thick mucus or thinner mucus resembling saliva?
or was it saliva that you've actually coughed up?
any phlegm you feel like coughing/stuck in chest, when you lie down after a while?
cough/phlegm worse in the morning?
I do not have any problems or discomfort with my breathing.  There is no itching.  I vomit a thick clear mucous.  I can't really determine if it's in my lungs/chest or in my throat.  Probably more in my throat.  The x-rays I had taken came back clear on my lungs.  If I take a deep breath, I immediately start another coughing bout.  Any comments/suggestions?
I had a severe cold recently and while my cold is getting better, my cough is getting worse.  I cough up a thick clear phlegm, and sometimes the coughing causes me to vomit just as you described.  I have started spitting it out so that I don't swallow it back, but I still end up vomitting after awhile.  I don't know exactly whats wrong, but I'm really not enjoying this even after a few days.  (So your comment about 10 months scares me quite a bit.)  I don't know how similar our situations are, but I'm wondering if you've found any solution so I can stop this as soon as possible.

thanks
I too have had a cough and excess phelgm for about 9-10 months. Have tried everything and had all the usual tests such as chest
x-ray, ct scan, broncoscopy, etc., etc. and have been on all the usual medicines.  I have discovered through some research of my own, that white foods (carbos) can cause excess phelgm.  If you will try eliminating or at least cutting down on pasta, potatoes, white bread, white sugar, you might find it will help eliminate the phelgm.  It has helped me considerably. I still have some cough but not to the excess it was.  And most of the phelgm is not the green stuff it was, but mostly clear.  Hope this helps.
A related discussion, coughing was started.
A related discussion, Coughing excessive phlegm was started.
A related discussion, Vomiting Phlegm was started.
A related discussion, reflux after food with phlegm was started.
A related discussion, When does a person must do Bronchoscopy? was started.