Respiratory Disorders Community
Phrenic Nerve Palsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Phrenic Nerve Palsy

About 7 months ago I had a window created in my pericardium to allow the excess fluid that was accumulating around my heart a place to escape to rather than building up pressure in my heart sack and causing me severe distress. I had gone thru a perio centisis prior to that and the fluid accumulated again. I had had a Mitrol Valve repair done in January 2007. Apparently the surgeon who had cut in the window either cut my Phrenic Nerve or severly nicked it or kinked it. Because the same afternoon that I had my window cut in my left Diaphram ceased to work as was verified by a sniff test the next day. Since then I have seen a Pulmonologist who measured my breathing capacity and a Neurologist who did an EMG on my Left and Right side Phrenic Nerve and verified the damage that had taken place to my Left Side Phrenic Nerve. Beside a Plication are there any other surgical procedures that could better my breathing. Does anyone know of any implants that have been developed or are being developed that might restore the functioning of my Left Diaphram. Does any one have any knowledge about Lawyers that specialize in Phrenic Nerve Malpractice?