Respiratory Disorders Community
Please advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Please advice

I had a an xray & a CT scan in 2010 where I was diagnosed with bronchiatacsis with rounded atelectisis. Since then I have seen the consultant every 6 months and have had X rays and they have always come back as no change from the initial xray. I saw the consultant in Dec 2012 and after the xray she was going to discharge me back to my GP. She decided to go back and look at my x-rays and then she asked me to have another CT. I had the CT on the 4th of Feb 2013 and there were small changes from the initial CT scan but the radiologist suggeted it was unlikely to be malignant. The result of that sacn was inconclussive diagnosis so the consultant reffered me to thorasic surgeon for a second openion.

I am now being sheduled for a bronchoscopy and EBUS and the thoracic surgeon and her team are concerned with changes in the CT scan.

I am really scared as an EBUS is usually used to detect cancer.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If there are recent changes in imaging studies, it needs to be determined what the changes are due. So, a biopsy is needed to make a confirmatory diagnosis. Sometimes the changes can be due to an infection. And as your doctors have suggested an EBUS will help diagnose. Good Luck with the procedure.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
My prayers are with you. But as scary as it is, look at it from this prospective. The change is small and new, so even if it is cancer, which we all pray it is not, it will be early stages and the success rate is really great. I have faith you will be fine, and am here if you need to talk.