Respiratory Disorders Community
Pleurisy/Pulmonary Emboli

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pleurisy/Pulmonary Emboli

What treatments are there for Pleurisy due to a pulmonary embolisim
Steriods?? Pleurisy is the inflammation of the lung lining. Steriods can take down the inflammed part. Pulmonary Emboli is a blood clot in the lungs, this usually comes from a bruise in the legs that moves up to the lungs.  Can be very serious.  
Pleurisy is a minor result from a more serious condition.  In your father's case the pulmonary embolism.  Pleurisy is VERY painful, as I have had it MANY times.  An oral steroid should be the last resort.  Can your father take NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflamatoris like aspirin, ibuprofin, naproxin...)?  Those would be a much better option to start with.  I have found a heating pad soothing as well.  The best thing for him is to stop the cough by treating the cause (or treating the symptom with cough suppressants) so that healing of the pleurisy can begin.  

The first time I had pleurist my doctor did tell me to take ibuprofen.  Then I became allergic to NSAIDs and just had to tough it out just stopping the cough as much as possible.  

God bless.