Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pnemonia and systemic infection
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pnemonia and systemic infection

I have a rash over my entire body, bloodshot eyes, and had been coughing for quite a while.  A chest xray showed infiltrate in right lung - small pneumonia. I was prescribed zpac of antibiotic.  I was sent to dermatologist for rash and he thinks I have infection in my body. He took 2 skin biopsies and ordered a 'health scan' blood test.  I was sent to opthamalogist for my eyes.  He prescribed antibiotic for my eyes. These tests and doctor visits happened yesterday and today.  What would cause the pneumonia?  Did the pneumonia cause my other symptoms?  What kinds of infections might be in my body causing these symptoms?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
It is reasonable to assume that the rash and the pneumonia are related.  The distribution of the rash may provide some clues as to what has caused the pneumonia.  For example one can have a widespread rash with measles, chicken pox, herpes or strep.  The result of the biopsies might also provide the answer.  You should contact the dermatologist and ask both questions:  
1) what did the biopsies show and could it cause pneumonia; and
2) what disease gives the kind of rash you have and can it also cause pneumonia.

One does not have to have an underlying medical problem to get pneumonia.  Healthy people can get pneumonia.  If you took any medicine, especially an antibiotic before the rash appeared, that would be the likely cause.

If you are still sick, the infection might still be found in, either, your phlegm or your blood.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank