Respiratory Disorders Community
Pneumonia still there after antibiotic treatment?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pneumonia still there after antibiotic treatment?

For the past month i have been coughing, fatigued and generally not well overall. After about 3 weeks, i went to the doctor because i had lower left rib pain from too much coughing and pink sputum. He took a chest x-ray and determined that i had pneumonia on my lower left lung lobe. He put me on a 10 day antibiotic regiment. I started to feel well. Fever and chills were gone. Left rib pain now dull. After my treatment however (just one day!), my cough hasn't stopped, the pink sputum came back in full force (specially in the mornings) and i could feel a new pain on my right rib. Does this mean the treatment was not effective? I do have a scheduled appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I just want to know if someone has had the same experience as i am having now.  
144586 tn?1284669764
Often a bacterial infection is followed by a mycobacterial infection (bacteria without cell walls) , which are resistant to most antibiotics except the fluoroquinalones, such as Cipro. There are many antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria around these days. Ask your doctor for an opinion when you see him.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
Top Respiratory Disorders Answerers
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
caregiver222