Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pneumonia that won't go away

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pneumonia that won't go away

I have been fighting Pneumonia for almost 2 years now. Have tried several antibiotics, did nothing. Had  CT scan and brochosopy and sputem culture done. Seeing a resperoligist who has no answers for me other that antibiotics should work. I am very run down down from fighting infection so long and constant cough.
ANY idea's welcome , nearing wits end.
Given the information you have provided, my best recommendation is that you and your doctors request a second opinion from physicians with experience in the diagnosis and treatment chronic (usually non-infectious) pneumonias.  I would be reluctant to accept the opinion that “antibiotics should work”.

I suggest that you seek consultation at an academic (medical school-associated) medical center, ideally one with respiratory physicians who specialize in chronic pneumonias, refractory to conventional therapy.  In addition to those “pneumonias” that would fall into the categories of interstitial lung disease and those that accompany multisystem diseases is yet another category associated with irreversibly damaged lung tissue (bronchiectasis) and this in turn may or may not be infectious and when infectious, caused by bacteria related to tuberculosis.

The bottom line is that your lung condition should be diagnosable and that establishing a diagnosis may require further invasive testing, to possibly include a lung biopsy.  Your doctors have obviously worked hard to find the cause and it is time now to seek the opinion of other lung specialists, experienced in the diagnosis of lung diseases of unknown causes, similar to yours.

Good luck