Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pneumonia that won't go away

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pneumonia that won't go away

My daughter is 4 years old and has had pneumonia 3X.  This last bout has lasted about 3 months so far.  She shows an infiltrate in her right lung that has remained.  She has been on so many antibiotics it's scary.  Her doctor want's to test her for CF.  My husband and I were tested and were shown not to be carriers.    

She also has problems with sinus infections.  She is sick all of the time and on antibiotics.  She has had allergy testing, negative and also some immune testing, normal.  The doctor wants to do more in depth immune testing along with the CF test.  

We are frustrated and very concerned.  She was a premature twin, born at 29 weeks, and was ventilated for about a week.  Could she possibly have chronic lung disease.  Does this have a particular 'look' on the xray?  Her doctor said that it doesn't look like cld on the xray.

Any information you could give me would be great.  We are at our wits ends.

Thank you.

This is certainly an upsetting and frustrating situation!

Recurring infections are the most common problem with immune deficiencies.  These commonly include sinus infections and chest infections like bronchitis and pneumonia.  Blood tests will reveal if there are any cells lacking from a complete immune system.  Blood tests will also show if the cells are present but lack adequate amounts for the system to function effectively.  Please read our Immune Deficiencies MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/immune.html for more information.  An immunologist would be the type of specialist to identify if your daughter has an immune problem and the best treatment.

Having been born premature and ventilated increases the likelihood that your daughter may develop a lung problem.  Testing for cystic fibrosis is commonly done in children who have reoccurring breathing problems.  A pediatric pulmonologist would be the type of specialist to identify if she has a lung problem and what would be the best treatment.
I can empathize, my 9 yr old daughter has recurrent pneumonia and sinus infections.  She also has been on antibiotics to the point she is resistant to many.  My daughter was believed to have asthma and just be sickly, as it turns out she has an autoimmune disease that has caused severe lung disease.  Autoimmune disease will have normal immune tests, her drs also tested her for immune deffiency, and it was normal.  The drs finally did a chest CT, which showed the lung disease.  She had had many X-rays before that would show pneumonia or at times be normal, but never the CT.  Since then I had researched extensively on lung disease, and found many lung diseases will not show up on X-ray alone.  People can have end stage lung disease and have a normal chest x-ray.  Ask for a chest CT, it will help to rule out any other lung disease.
Good Luck!
has she seen a pediatric ent specialist? has she had a ct scan or mri of her sinuses? sinus infections can cause lung infections from theinfectious post nasal drip....  the other thought is could she have a foreign body in her nose?  good luck
A related discussion, pneumonia won't go away was started.