Respiratory Disorders Community
Pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pneumonia

My husband was admitted to the ICU with pneumonia.  He hadn't been coughing at all, however, he had blood in the mucus that he spat out, but never told me about it.  He had been complaining of breathlessness, dizziness, sweating at night and pain in the midriff area.  He went cycling and ended up with an enlarged heart beating at 175 a minute.  His lungs are both affected and the has been in the ICU now for ten days.  There doesn't seem to be any improvement.  He was on 65% oxygen , but it was pushed up to 80% today.  He is very fit and has no fat on his body.  He is flat on the bed and gets Morphine and Dormicum to keep him calm - otherwise he wants to pull out the tubes.  Is there any hope for him?  I am so miserable, as we have only been married for four months and have relocated and made a lovely home.  His heart rate has been brought down to between 80 and 100.