Respiratory Disorders Community
Pneumothorax and Tobacco Smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pneumothorax and Tobacco Smoking

My name is John D., I am a 19 year old male, and I recently suffered a pneumothorax on my left side. A chest tube was inserted, but my lung did not fully re-expand. I underwent surgery, and my lung is now physically scarred to my chest cavity. The doctor's said that the cause of my lung collapse were things called blebs on the surface of my lung.

Before this incident, I was an on and off cigarette smoker (9 to 10 cigarettes a week for a few months at a time).

Knowing that I may have other blebs that havn't yet popped, I was wondering if alternatives to smoking tobacco such as vaporising tobacco, would still increase the risk of a different bleb popping, and subsequently of a new collapse? Does vaporizing tobacco adversely affect our lungs?
i smashed my ribs on a concrete wall on wednesday which was 48 hours ago i went to the er and found out i had about a 10 percent partial lung collapse they told me to go home and wait till sunday to get an xray and see if it has healed itself and then see a specialist on monday, i am wondering since i feel no pain breathing anymore and my ribs are just sore if i could get away with smoking a cigarette before my xray, i know its stupid so save your comments i just want to know if it for sure will completely collapse my lung i dont smoke very often and its only been for a year, i just wonder if it will for sure collapse it even though it feels like its back to normal.