Pnuemonia - Typical Duration?
Good morning. I am a 57 year old male. On 2/4 I started with a bad cough, which was producing phlegm. I began to feel worse and had some pain in my rib cage. I saw my PCP on 2/10 and she ordered a CXR and prescribed an antibiotic, Augmentin 500-125, 3 x daily for 10 days. She also prescribed Promethazine DM syrup 2  tsp. 3 x daily, as needed. I still had pain in my rib cage on 3/20 and contacted my PCP's office. Another CXR was ordered. My PCP called me on 2/25 and said that the CXR still showed pneumonia. She said the antibiotics I had taken should handle it. It is now 3/1  and I still have pain in my rib cage, especially on the right side and I become winded when climbing stairs. Shoudn't this have cleared up by now? Am I being impatient? Should I make another appointment to see my PCP? It has made sleeping uncomfortable, due to the pain in my rib cage. I have never had pneumonia and don't know what to expect. Any comments or suggestions will be retly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes I would contact the MD again. Sometimes pneumonia is stubborn.  They might possibly want to run some IV antibiotics thru. It has almost been a month since the problem began. Pain is common on the side that the pneumonia is on.  Try drinking plenty of water, this will thin the secretions so you will be able to cough them up.  Try deep breathing exercises, it might not feel very good, but you need to get air down there in those areas.  Aww I know how it feels, good luck!