Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Possible 1 CM density at medial right lung base

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I had a recent chest x-ray due to ocassional dyspnea, which usually occurs when I am under stress.  The radiologist report reads that the x-ray shows " a faint questionable 1 centimeter modular density at the medial right lung base which is likely due to superimposition".  I am going in for a second x-ray next week.

My risk pattern for lung disorders are extremely low.  I am a 52 year old male.  I never smoked, never worked with chemicals or asbestos, and there is no family history of lung disease. Other than the ocassional dyspnea, there are no other negative symptoms.  All breathing and excercise tests are normal and show no problems.  In fact I exercise regularly and when excercising, there are no breathing problems.  

Of course it will be about a week before I receive results, and I am quite nervous.  What are the chances of a superimposition vs a nodular density in an x-ray.  If a nodular density of 1 cm does exist, what are the chances of a serious malignancy?
Superimposition is common.  When the radiologist suggests superimposition that is usually correct.  The issue can quickly be resolved with a repeat chest x-ray taken in a slightly different projection.

A nodule is usually a small, round shadow seen on chest x-ray anywhere in the lungs.  If this turns out to be a nodule rather than a superimposition and you have had previous chest x-rays it would be helpful to locate them.  Then your doctor could compare them with your most recent chest x-ray.  The comparison could be most helpful to your doctors, in interpreting these findings and the significance of the nodule.  Nodules are due to infections, inflammation, or tumors.  Nodules that are 1 centimeter in size or smaller are very unlikely to be a malignancy.
I had a ABD. Pelvic CT scan 4 days for kidney stones and was told the Radiologist saw 1 CM nodular base of my right lung. I was told to see a pulmonologist. I have an appointment in a few weeks. Due to frequent stones I have had several CT scans in the last 1 1/2 years. I also had a chest x-ray approx. 3-4 months ago to check for pneumo. This nodule has not been spotted before.
  I have a family history of cancer with 1 real recent, my brother age 40 dying with liver ca only 4 weeks of his DX. My MGF had lung ca, numerous second generation cousins, uncles and aunts.
  My history was I smoked between the ages of 15-21 years old maybe 1 pack in a weeks time and never since then I'am now 45 year old female. My father was a very heavy smoker in the house and in the car with us kids.
  I'm quite nervous. Can you ease my mind?
A related discussion, nodule right lung was started.
A related discussion, nodule on right lung base was started.
A related discussion, Lung Nodule was started.
A related discussion, lung disease was started.