Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Possible breathing issue and ENS from rhinoplasty?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible breathing issue and ENS from rhinoplasty?

Hi.... I recently had a rhinoplasty (secondaray revision), and I have noticed 9 weeks after that I am still a bit stuffy (sometimes more than others, like when I sleep).  I'm also experiencing dry nose, some crusting, dry mucous, and a slight burning sensation.  I just found out through an ENT, who was not the surgeon that performed this rhinoplasty, that my terbinates were partially removed and that my nasal passages close up during deep inhalation (he used a scope to do this).    First off, can a surgeon remove even part of your terbinates during a rhinoplasty without your knowledge or conscent?  Or is this something that was done accidentally or carelessly because he was breaking and resecting bone which could have included my terbinates?  Second, since mine appear to be partially removed can this contribute to the dry, burning, stuffy sensation I'm feeling otherwise called "empty nose syndrome"?  The doctors I've gone to tell me that this is a temporary side effect of the surgery especially since it is my second one (the first was done 20 years ago) and that it will very possibly heal in time as the nose "adjusts".  I'm really hoping this is the case since I still am in recovery as it takes a year for something like this to heal.  I also have heard that terbinates can regenerate if they haven't been removed totally.  Is this true?  I don't want long term problems due to this.  The surgeon who performed the surgery never told me that in order to reduce the shape and size of my nose, he would need to partially remove my terbinates as he also never mentioned that my nasal passages would be affected as a result of the reduction.  Any information would be much appreciated.  Thank you very much.