Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Possible chronic sinusitis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Possible chronic sinusitis?

For a few years now I have been suffering with what is basically.. a cold.
I have smoked for about 4 years now and I can only assume that it has stemmed from that.
I have tried to quit etc, but doesn't seem to work for me.
I wondered if anyone knew what exactly may be wrong with me?
I am a singer and am essentially loosing my voice, much of which I attribute to smoking, but my sinuses are constantly jammed and I can't sing clearly any more. I feel like there is liquid in my sinuses. I broke my sinus bone when I was a child and think I may get constant infections due to this. Nasal sprays etc don't work. I wake up in the mornings feeling like my throat is cut where it is so sore. My doctor said I should go to a specialist nose and throat clinic.. but I am extremely apprehensive of what they may find, because I smoke. I am fairly worried it could be something really bad. I sometimes get a slight dizziness and feeling as though my head is swollen, but it varies.. but is always there in some form.
I have recently found blood when blowing my nose and has if anything worsened my fears and made me more concerned to go to a specialist.
I have read that CS is very rare and seems unlikely, but I really can't remember the last time I could breathe properly.
Just wondered if anyone had an insight, would really appreciate to hear it.
(I do intend on going to the doctors soon)

Thanks!
I suggest that you do your best to overcome your fear of what might be found, with a thorough evaluation of your nose and throat, and follow your doctor’s advice.  I am not familiar with the abbreviation of CS, so I can’t address that directly.  If it refers to chronic sinusitis, that is very common, not rare.    What I strongly suspect is that the “feeling of liquid in my sinuses” and “loss of voice” are either caused by or significantly worsened by cigarette smoke.  There is a wide range of sensitivity to the harmful effects of cigarette smoke and your history suggests that your upper respiratory tissues may be at the very sensitive end of the spectrum.

You should definitely work with your doctor and the specialist to, 1) define what is going in your sinuses, nose and throat and larynx and, 2) get started on an intensive smoking cessation program.

Good luck