Post Pneumonia Conditions in Senior
My father, 87, had pneumonia over a year and a half ago (one of the most common kinds according to blood tests afterwards) and he was declared to be ok within two months (clear x-rays, no congestion, cough or sign in blood tests)  Yet he has had trouble recovering his full strength in these last 18 months, and has had a condition that has plagued him, on and off, since then.  The condition involves a sensitivity to cold - if he gets in a draft, he starts to overheat from the inside.  His temperature shows no sign of the heating, but he sweats profusely.  At its worst, he can go through 5 to 6 pairs of pajamas in a night.  Then he can feel well for awhile, but if he stays out and around too long (drives up to visit friends at a local donut shop, sits in a cold breeze) the condition will return with a vengeance.  It is driving him a little crazy not to feel better, but all the doctors can do is tell him that this is normal after pneumonia.  His hormone levels have been tested several times - always normal.  He is on blood pressure medication- amlodopine and losartan, and flomax for prostate.  He also has chronic insomnia (since he was a young man) and takes xanax and halcyion as needed to sleep.

In his own words- "I require a  heated environment-over 80 degrees and higher.   Otherwise I get cold, a runny nose, and easily chilled.  I have difficulty sleeping even with medication.  Internally hot particularly when I do any mental or physical activity. I feel this is deteriorating and I can't walk very far anymore.  My condition is very disabling and miserable.  Any way I can be made more comfortable will be appreciated."

He is mobile - still drives and walks (although now he gets nervous about too much walking unless it's very warm out)  He is also mentally very alert (reads the paper and follows the news and stock market)  We have been to many doctors, but even though the specialist in infectious diseases told him he should be happy he was doing so well, this is tiring him out and we hope someone can help.  Thank you!
thanks for query.

I think what he is having is just age related issues. You need to give him regular multivitamin supplement. He is active and let him be. Give him small frequent meals all the time. Plenty of fruit juice and vegetable soup will definitely help. There is nothing to be  concerned about.

Wishing you good health.
Thank you for your response.  Your answer is much appreciated!
My Dad takes a multivitamin, plus other supplements (lysine for mouth health, Vit. D, Geritol)  He is mostly upset because he wants to be more active (like he used to be before the pneumonia) As you suggested, he eats a lot of fruit and vegetables and food throughout the day- also takes electrolyte water when he sweats a lot (it keeps him from getting a little disoriented)
I agree that these are age-related, but was hoping someone could help with the internal heating up, maybe they've seen it before.