Respiratory Disorders Community
Post-pnenumonia Lung/chest/bone pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Post-pnenumonia Lung/chest/bone pain

Hi, I had Pneumonia in my right lung during Christmas Last year.It lasted until the 2nd week of Jan Lungs are cleared now and everything is apparently fine. However, I havent felt much better since. Namely, Chest pain in my right lung. I cannot run anymore than 50m anymore as my right lung will ache and I will feel a tremendous pain; to the point that i cannot breathe. So I have gone to several specialist including a cardiologist. They cannot identify any problems with my lung nor heart.  So I checked the area where it is constantly feeling pain by applying pressure. It seems to be a rib cage bone that aches. It last for a few minutes. Is that normal or not? Still, any advise given would be great. thanks.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The persisting pain could be due to pleuritis. The pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain and is referred to as pleurisy. This can happen with infections like tuberculosis or pneumonia. It can also occur due to other causes like SLE. Therapy lies in treating the underlying cause and pain killers. With your symptoms it is likely you may have developed pleurisy as a consequence to pneumonia. Sometimes this can persist even after the infection has healed. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.