Respiratory Disorders Community
Prednisone side effects: Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Prednisone side effects: Anxiety

I am on prednisone for asthma and bronchitis and although my lungs are clear now, the prednisone seems to be causing me a great deal of anxiety.  I could hardly concentrate at work today and felt very jittery.  I went back to see my doctor who told me as soon as he saw me that I was nervous and that is was from the prednisone.  My heart rate was in the 90s!  He sent me home to take an ativan and relax which is what I am doing now and now my heart rate is around 80 -- still high but much better.  The doctor told me that prednisone is the best medicine to clear out asthma, but is a bad drug in many ways because so many people have side effects including anxiety.  No fun.