Respiratory Disorders Community
Preemie lung disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Preemie lung disorder

My son was born at 30 weeks gestation due to my severe pre-eclampsia via C-section. He was vented for only 10 hours, was on and off small amounts of CPAP due to desats. He was in the NICU for 9 weeks and is home now without any CPAP or monitors and is feeding and growing. He came off of the CPAP at 36 weeks 2 days gestation and is on Diuril and Lasix everyday (Lasix everyday probably only for 1 week). The pediatric radiologist, at 40 weeks gestation, said that he has a small area of atelectasis in the lower left lobe. Is my son considered to have bronchopulmonary dysplasia? Is this area of atelectasis very concerning or will it likely heal? Should I have a picture in my head of hospitalizations with every respiratory infection and BPD resulting eventually in pulmonary hypertension and death or will this atelectic area heal? I've read that his chest xray could look normal by the time he's 2 years old, is this likely with him? Could you rate his severity?