RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Pregnant and coughing
by maddie79, Jun 06, 2007
I am 27 years old and 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. I have had a chronic cough for the past five weeks.  I constantly have the feeling in my chest that I need to cough.  My cough sounds very hard when I cough, but it has for the past few years. The urge to cough is not so severe that I cannot keep from coughing, but the urge to cough is always there.  It's very annoying.

My family doctor put me on acid reflux medicine, but I am certain it cannot be acid reflux because I have no other symptoms.  My OB/GYN told me to take sudafed, but I do not have allergies or a cold.  I have convinced myself that I must have lung cancer, as I smoked for about six years in college. However, no doctor seems to give this thought much merit. Has any other pregnant woman experienced a chronic cough?  It is very frustrating and is starting to cause me to have depression.
Member Comments (5)
by maggiemag, Jun 10, 2007
It is very common when pregnant to experience nasal stuffiness and other symptoms that you would normally relate to allergies.  I would try the Sudafed if I were you.  I'm sure the coughing is very annoying.  Good luck.
by robert25, Sep 01, 2007
i have a really bad cold and every time i cough there is a sharp pain in my stomach,can it hurt the baby at all?this is my first pregnancy and i am worried about alot of things.plz tell me if the baby is ok i am 17 weeks.
by locadia4u, May 27, 2008
I had a constant cough when I was pregnant, I tried the vicks vaporizer it helped in the nighttime for the cough.
Unfortunately there is not much you can take while  you are pregnant. Sometimes rubbing vicks on your chest relieves it a bit.
by Ranchu, Sep 21, 2009
I am a pregnant and completed 4 months, currently I am suffering from cough & cold since 2 days.  I had consulted the private doctor and he had adivsed to take the following medicine;
Tablets
1) Phexin
2) Premo HS
3) Ebost
4) Palakind
5) Calpol
6) Paracetamal

Syrup
1) Brozeet Expo

Please suggest me whether to take the above mentioned.
by SarBear44, Mar 21, 2011
I am 4 months pregnant, I am having the same exact problem. It has been going on for about a week now, I am not sick. I realize that there are ways to help with this, but is there a Dr. who could explain why this going on. Its gotten to the point where I have almost lost my voice due to the coughing. I use pillows at night, I bought a vaporizer, nothing is relieving this cough.