Respiratory Disorders Community
Pregnant and coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pregnant and coughing

I am 27 years old and 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. I have had a chronic cough for the past five weeks.  I constantly have the feeling in my chest that I need to cough.  My cough sounds very hard when I cough, but it has for the past few years. The urge to cough is not so severe that I cannot keep from coughing, but the urge to cough is always there.  It's very annoying.

My family doctor put me on acid reflux medicine, but I am certain it cannot be acid reflux because I have no other symptoms.  My OB/GYN told me to take sudafed, but I do not have allergies or a cold.  I have convinced myself that I must have lung cancer, as I smoked for about six years in college. However, no doctor seems to give this thought much merit. Has any other pregnant woman experienced a chronic cough?  It is very frustrating and is starting to cause me to have depression.
It is very common when pregnant to experience nasal stuffiness and other symptoms that you would normally relate to allergies.  I would try the Sudafed if I were you.  I'm sure the coughing is very annoying.  Good luck.
i have a really bad cold and every time i cough there is a sharp pain in my stomach,can it hurt the baby at all?this is my first pregnancy and i am worried about alot of things.plz tell me if the baby is ok i am 17 weeks.
I had a constant cough when I was pregnant, I tried the vicks vaporizer it helped in the nighttime for the cough.
Unfortunately there is not much you can take while  you are pregnant. Sometimes rubbing vicks on your chest relieves it a bit.
I am a pregnant and completed 4 months, currently I am suffering from cough & cold since 2 days.  I had consulted the private doctor and he had adivsed to take the following medicine;
Tablets
1) Phexin
2) Premo HS
3) Ebost
4) Palakind
5) Calpol
6) Paracetamal

Syrup
1) Brozeet Expo

Please suggest me whether to take the above mentioned.
I am 4 months pregnant, I am having the same exact problem. It has been going on for about a week now, I am not sick. I realize that there are ways to help with this, but is there a Dr. who could explain why this going on. Its gotten to the point where I have almost lost my voice due to the coughing. I use pillows at night, I bought a vaporizer, nothing is relieving this cough.
I was told to take the same thing but if ur pregnant u should take either Sudafed and or benedryl. after I got told to take the same things u were told to take I asked my OBGYN and he said benedryl and or Sudafed is safer for me and child im caring so I am suggesting Sudafed and or benedryl and hope this helps