Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pressure at the base of my throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pressure at the base of my throat

Hi:

Something weird is going on.  About a week ago I began having this unexplained pressure right at the base of my throat where my esophagus meets my collar bone.  The other thing is I have noticed a significant amount in light burping and it seems to be the only thing that relieves the pressure for a moment or too.  I have been under a tremndous amout of stress lately and the problem disappears when I sleep only to reappear sometime during the day.  I do have really bad allergies and just got over a slight head cold from which my sinuses are still clearing.  It doesn't hurt persay the presurre is just annoying and I can still swallow which actually relieves the pressure for a second.  

I am going to go to the doctor as soon as I get my first paycheck and my insurance kicks in in two weeks but have any clue what might be going on?
You are probably having some spasms of the esophagus, due to the stress.  This is most likely unrelated to your head cold.  On the other hand, you might have an infection of the surface of the esophagus.  This sounds more like a nuisance rather than a serious condition.  You should definitely see your doctor, but it is fine to wait.  However if your symptoms worsen, you should see your doctor as soon as you can.
What is interesting is that I have been  in MN for almost a week and the pressure at the base of my throat has almost disappeared......I know it has to be stress related to some degree because I am here with my boyfriend and there has been little to no stress........  I wonder if it has anything to do with the lack of humidity in CO where I am from.
I had very simular syptoms (symptoms) that lasted for months. I found out that it was related to the muscles that come from below my ear at the base of my skull running down to the front of my lower throat. This was relieved thru neck PT. I never connected it to a muscular problem, always thought it was my throat. It effected my swollowing, burping, etc and seemed to relieve itself when I layed down. It wasn't until my MD checked my neck and saw my rotation was minimal and had a MRI done that the strained musles were causing this problem. After a few months of PT, the problem went away. (Note, I was in a MVA and had accute whiplash 6 months before this condition surfaced).
A related discussion, pressure at the base of my throat was started.
A related discussion, Tense discomfort in lower throat was started.