Progression of emphysema
I have been diagnosed with the beginning of emphysema. I have been a 2-pack a day smoker for years. I am trying hard to quit. I've been able to cut down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. I am wondering if I quit smoking completely, will the disease still progress or will it stop at this stage?

Very scared and all alone.

This discussion is related to Stages of Emphysema/COPD.
Now just think about what you ask about! You must stop, because you will get worse faster if you dont, it will slow if you stop now. They say if you quit your lungs will get renewed after 8 years. Now maybe they want go back to perfect but you can live alittle
longer and who knows how long that will be? It could turn in to a few more that if you kept it up! I was once a smoker my self, thats how I know! Keep up the good work,
dont cut yourself short if you know what I mean!
                                                                 keeping it real,
                                                                  sister mtt
My doctor stated that the lungs can heal if not too damaged for the first year after you quit. But, I have been reading that once you get the emphysema destruction, it's not reversable. I have been reading also that it only shows in an xray with more advanced stages and the doc claimed I was just starting with it. I don't know what to believe. I do know that I had bronchitis and asthma because I was running fever and coughing my head off. After a week of treatments, I am breathing 100% better. I feel a little phlegm in the lower parts of my lungs and can cough it up easily now. Besides that, I feel fine now. I'm wondering if the doc just told me this to make me stop smoking or misdiagnosed me. All the materials from other doctor's online and my doc's diagnoses doesn't jive.
We must take our health into our own hands now as the health care system is
just not what it used to be.  Please quit smoking, you can do it. I finally did.  Also,
\managing your own health means insisting to your doctor or hospital that they do
testing on your mucus in nose, throat, x-ray, blood etc. not just taking three minutes
to listen to our chest which could be anything and coming up with some diagnosis
or prescribing antibiotics.  That is just not what they took all that schooling for to
become doctors.  Really pissed!  Going through similar problems.  Hope I helped.
Good luck.