Respiratory Disorders Community
Pseudomonas + chronic sinusitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pseudomonas + chronic sinusitis

This discussion is related to pseudomonas and chronic sinus.

I have been struggling for years now. I was hopsitalized with pseudomonas pnemonia (pneumonia) in 2000. Ever since then I've had chronic sinusitis.  I have had two sinus surgeries.  I found a good ENT in Anchorage that took cultures - it was pseudomonas again. Been on antibiotics, etc.  He said that I have biofilms.  Been flushing like crazy.  That doctor moved to Guam.  He sent me last fall to another doctror-- started all over again- yes, culture turned up psedomonas two more times- Now I am using a gentamicin nasal rinse 2x's a day. Been doing it since middle of Dec.  Now the asthma gets bad when I get any ear ach or infection.  This doc says to go to my internal med for the asthma, but I know it is connected to the sinusitis!  Have been on prednisone- that helps until I go off and a few weeks later it all starts up again.  Is there hope of ever getting rid of this nasty infection?
I too have had similiar problems. It's a cycle, usually allergy induced. With me, food and airborne allergans congest my sinuses until  normal drainage is no longer possible. Then the breeding ground is set for any opportunistic bacteria to take over, such as pseudomonas. The infection causes more severe congestion, which makes things worse.

I've found that the best way is prevention: get tested for allergies, and start taking allergy shots. After time, the chronic inflammation in the sinuses will begin to subside, and drainage is less impaired.

For the acute infections, I take a medrol pack (methylprednisolone), which immediately reduces the inflammation and allows drainage, and an antibiotic such as levaquin, cipro, or whatever is appropriate for the bug (culture is absolutely necessary). DO NOT let the ENT put you on antibiotic for anything less than 2 weeks. You need to be on them for a MONTH at least. Otherwise, you wind up not killing all the bugs, and they come back, more resistant to the antibiotic.
I too have sinus problems and am actually currently fighting yet another infection. I too grow out pseudomonas and yeast on occasion. I do sinus rinses with a saline solution, that seems to help. I also take antibiotics that are adjusted once culture results come in. I have so many problems do to atypical CF (cystic fibroisis) which was diagnosed 3 years ago (my sinus problems coupled with my lung problems prompted my doc to test for CF)
I do agree that if the allergies aren't well controlled, the sinuses seem to get easily infected. I also take antihistamines and Singulair to help with this along with nasal sprays (Astelin and Flonase)
I also agree that if the course of antibiotics isn't long enough, the infection just keeps roaring back so make sure that the course is at least 2 weeks.
Sunny
Hello, Any follow up with your condition? Have you treated completely? Thank you