Respiratory Disorders Community
Pulled muscle or pleurisy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pulled muscle or pleurisy?

7 weeks ago I got a really bad cold which led to laryngitis, bronchitis and a sinus infection 1 week later. Around 10 days in I started a round of antibiotics, Nasonex and cough medicine at night to help me sleep because I would cough so much. Well Biaxin made me very sick, I had nausea and diarrhea for the whole 10 days, I could hardly eat. My cough was productive and after 10 days dried up a little, and it seemed my sinuses were feeling better, although I sounded plugged. 2 days after I stopped taking the antibiotics my throat was becoming extremly tickely, scratchy and I started into horrible coughing fits. I coughed for hours straight and finally vomited  because I couldn't stop. I took some Tylenol 3's because someone told me it helps with the coughing. The next morning I woke up and couldn't breathe or move, I had  incredible pain in my chest and back. I went back to the doctors, they gave me more pain meds told me it sounded like pnemonia (pneumonia) and sent me for bloodwork and chest x-rays. The following day they called me back to tell me I'm anemic but everything else looks fine. I don't smoke, hardly ever drink and live a healthy very active lifestyle. I take every natural supplement I know to take to try and heal. I'm a woman in my early 40's that is never ever sick even when everyone else around me is. So the story continues...27 days later I can hardly still breathe or move, or stand up straight. No one, not my husband or my kids can touch me because the pain in my chest is unbearable, heaven forbid I cough or sneeze or even laugh. I am taking a mixture of Advil, Tylenol and T 3's at night every 4 hours a day and night. It hurts to touch underneath my arm pit and the pain radiates into my back and under my right breast and stops  at my sternum. 48 hours ago, I woke up with another sinus infection, probably never went away and the pain in my chest is getting worse especially at night when I try to sleep. The doctor put me on Avelox 400mg but I really don't know if I can stand getting sick because of the pain in my chest and he said I may have pleurisy. I asked for another X ray of my chest which they did and today I got the results, nothing shows up. My chiropractor says it may be a pulled muscle in my chest wall so he has been using Kinesio tape which initially seemed to help but not in the last week. I'm at my wits end with all this pain and I don't know where to go from here. I can't work, open doors, carry groceries or even hug someone with my right side of my body. Meanwhile I continue to take all my pills, wallow in my sorrow and watch everyone else enjoy their summer, frustrated. Is this normal pain and symptoms for a pulled muscle or possibly pleurisy? Is it possible pleurisy or a cracked rib is missed on 2 xrays?
Tags: pulled muscle in chest, Pleurisy, unexplained pain beh, sinus infection
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of chest pain could be due to pleurisy. The pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed leading to pleuritis, causing pain with coughing. It can occur due to local causes like recurrent lung infections and sometimes due to cancer of the lungs. It sometimes may not be visible on X rays. Treatment lies in treating the underlying cause and painkillers are given for relief from symptoms. If it does not respond to medications, then surgical therapy is indicated.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.