Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pulmicort plus Singulair - too much for a 4 year old?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hello -

My four year old, allergic to cats, dogs, peanuts and eggs, also has eczema and asthma.  He takes 4mg chewable Singulair bid (pm) and .5mg Pulmicort respules via a nebulizer, also bid (am).

Can I use the Pulmicort only?  He has been on the Singulair for 6 months now, and his eczema is getting progrssively worse.  I use pure, raw Shea butter as needed and Atopiclair (which contains butyrospermum parkii anyway) or Triamcinolone for three days, three times a day, as needed.

I am concerned the Singulair is worsening his eczema.
It is unlikely that Singulair® (montelukast sodium) is responsible for worsening of your son's eczema.  There are few reports but they suggest that Singulair® (montelukast sodium) may actually relieve eczema.  In any event, we would advise you not to discontinue the Singulair® (montelukast sodium) until you are able to discuss it with his doctor.

You may want to seek a second opinion at a center that specializes in the diagnosis, treatment and research of eczema, such as the National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver, Colorado.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker