Respiratory Disorders Community
Pulmicort respules safe as nasal spray for polyps?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pulmicort respules safe as nasal spray for polyps?

For years, I have tried tried various treatments including Singulair, Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, and Nasonex. About six months ago, I had a CT scan and was diagnosed with severe nasal polyps, which explained my loss of sense of smell several years before. My allergist put me on two weeks of oral steroids and antibiotics, as well as a long-term therapy of Pulmicort respules used as a nasal spray. He told me to empty two respules (2 mL each) into an empty nasal spray bottle, and to use the entire amount throughout a single day. I have been doing this for six months with some success, though I rarely finish the whole amount in one day--more like one respule every two days. My sense of smell came back, but now I am worried about safety.

I have been getting headaches, but I don't know whether they are from the spray, from not using enough spray, or something else. Also, my nose bleeds periodically--not a lot, but when I blow my nose, the mucus is bloody. I think the blood is coming from my nostril, because if I dab at the inside of my nostril with a tissue, it comes out bloody.

My doctor is rather dismissive of my questions, and I know he will just insist that I keep using the full amount. However, I'm wondering if I should not be using fully concentrated Pulmicort at such a high dosage. Any advice would be apppreciated.