Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pulmonary Embolism Recurring Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pulmonary Embolism Recurring Pain

Hi! I had a pulmonary embolism about 3 and a half years ago and ever since, every couple of weeks I get a sharp, stabbing pain in that lobe of my lung upon inspiration and it disappears then after.  I am a mother of 3 and am completely healthy otherwise.  Is this normal?
I would not describe a “sharp stabbing pain” of the lung as normal but it could be a residual of the pulmonary embolus (PE), especially if the PE involved the pleural surface, leaving scar tissue.  That the pain is always in the same place in your chest would be consistent with that explanation, rather than a recurrent PE, and thus not a legitimate concern.

However slight the possibility of recurrence, given that it is always at the same site, you should discuss it with the physician who treated the PE 3 ½ years ago and seek his/her opinion.

It is also possible that the pain could be unrelated to the PE, perhaps a musculoskeletal pain, but the risk of missing the diagnosis of recurring PE is too great for you to simply accept my opinion.  Please do run this past your PE doctor.

Good luck