Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pulmonary Embolism

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pulmonary Embolism

I am a 32 year old female who has always been fairly healthy.  In April I contracted a Strep B infection which left me septic and with discitis. I was on Pen G via IV Pump for 3 months.  In June I was rehospitalized with Pleurisy and now at the end of August I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Emboli - 2 in the left lung and 1 in the right.  I was finally diagnosed after attending at emergency 4 times and being sent home with "Anxiety".  I was told prior to the VQ scan that I was a VERY low probability for a blood clot because I am not on the pill, never had surgery, Genetic testing was negative all in all have NO reason to have a PE. I had 2 doppler ultrasounds done on my legs/stomach and both were negative. I am on 7.5mg of Warafin daily and am wondering what my chances are of recurrence.  They tell me less than 1% chance but I'm not real confident with them at this point.  My INR rate is currently at about 2.1 but I am also taking Levenox injections until the INR is stable.  I still have some (mild-moderate) pressure in my chest and some occasional pain in my left lung is this normal?.  As well, is there any chance of developing further clots while taking Warafin and having a therapeutic range INR?? Needless to say I
Pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in an artery of the lungs.  The most common place for the clot to travel from is a vein in the legs.  Most of the time this is due to some type of trauma to the legs, like a broken bone.  However the clot could also come from a vein in the pelvis, the arm, the shoulder, or even the heart.  Blood clotting problems can also cause blood clots to form in the lungs.

Some people do not have any symptoms.  Other people will breathe faster, feel chest discomfort, and/or be more short of breath.  A radiology test called a ventilation perfusion (VQ) scan, like you had done, is most commonly used to identify the problem.  Sometimes pulmonary arteriography is used.

Generally blood clots are treated with Coumadin
Thank you for the information.  Does this mean even though I am on 7.5mg of Warafin daily that the clots COULD still develop even though the genetic testing was negative??