Respiratory Disorders Community
Pulmonary Fibrosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pulmonary Fibrosis

In Dec. 2012, I went to the ER with extreme SOB and was sent a Pulmonologist, havind been tentatively diagnosed w/ IPF. It was.  However, had I not gotten pneumonia, I wouldn't have known, figuring my occasional SOB was due to aging (I'm 54).  So the doc gave me 1-7 years (I smoke)...  Is there any way to know more closely?  I'm selling my life insurance, and I'm afraid I'll run out of money before I die.      
Can't the progress of the fibrosis be slowed or stopped?  Stopping smoking should give you more time, and the money you'd save not buying cigarettes will stretch you budget.

Are you not able to work?  

Age 54 isn't old, and that age alone would not be a reason for SOB, or fibrosis of the lungs.  

Please stop worrying about outliving you money, try to get better and focus on getting some income to address day-to-day financial needs.