Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pulmonary function test results and asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

FVC 96%,  FEV1 91%, FEF25-75%  74%, FIVC 90%,  TLC 110%, VC 96%, FRC PL  150%, RV 145%, DLCO 92%, DL Adj 92%, DLCO/VA 86%

Flow volume loop nondiagnostic

Are these results consistent with asthma?  I am 25 (f) non smoker.
These results are consistent with asthma.  The increased Total Lung Capacity (TLC), Functional Residual Capacity (FRC) and Residual Volume (RV), if correct, suggest that the asthma may not be well controlled.  With asthma the Diffusing Capacity (DLCO) would usually be slightly increased.  There is a wide range of normal with DLCO measurements and they can vary some from day to day.  So it is possible to have asthma with a normal DLCO like yours.

Here are definitions for some of the abbreviations used in your results:
1) Forced Vital Capacity (FVC) is the maximum volume of gas that can be forcefully and rapidly exhaled after a maximal inhalation.
2) Forced Expiratory Volume after 1 second (FEV1) is the volume of gas exhaled after one second from the beginning of the FVC maneuver.
3) Forced Expiratory Flow from 25to 75% (FEF 25-75%) is the average rate of flow during the middle half of an FVC maneuver that includes the flow from medium-sized and small airways, also known as
The numbers you list are good. Are these values after a bronchodilator? Usually in suspected asthma cases PFT's are performed before and after having a bronchodilator. Also, bronchial provocation studies such as a methacholine challenge are performed as well. The percenteges you gave represent your percent lung function compared to the normal for someone your age, size (weight and height), and history. In other words, the numbers you give are all equal too or better than normal lung function for someone your age, size and history. BUT...you may have normal PFT's when you're not having an acute attack. These questions are best answered by your physician or specialist. I think you stated before that you had a history of GERD. This can certainly cause some problems if you have an asthma history. Again, consult your doctor to find out more about this and I'm sure he/she would be more than happy to explain your PFT results to you. I hope youi find your answers...good luck.
                                   J.C.I RRT RCP
No, these numbers are without a bronchodilator.  I am concerned about the RV and other value that is over 100%.
The percentages that you list are your numbers against a predicted value. Your Total Lung Capacity (TLC) is the sum of all volumes your lungs hold. Your value was 110% of the predicted value for a woman of your age and size and with your history. Your Residual Volume (RV) was 145% of the predicted value. These are not bad. Again though, your values can be normal when not experiencing the symptoms of an asthma attack. There are other tests that are performed, along with your history, that can determine if you are an asthmatic. You need to bring these questions to your physician or specialist and let them answer your questions, for it is their advice you need to follow. I hope things work out for you. Take care.
                                J.C.I RRT RCP
A related discussion, Pulmonary Functions Testing. was started.