Pus in sputum but no infection?
Hello.

I am a 25 year old female with severe brittle asthma and CVID (a primary immunodeficiency), only diagnosed after finding early signs of bronchiectasis on my CT scan. I am now receiving IVIG to treat the immune problem, and I am on continuous antibiotics to try and limit the number of infections I get. Because I am dependent on high doses of oral steroids to stabilise my asthma, serious infections have been a severe problem in the past.

I send sputum samples into the hospital once a month to try and detect any bugs as soon as they start. Recently all the samples have been negative, which obviously I am very pleased about. However, they do all record 'Mucus and pus'. Why would my sputum contain pus if there is no infection? Does this mean that further damage is continuing?

I have previously suffered from MRSA several times, as well as the more usual bacterial infections, viruses and aspergillus.

Many thanks for your help.
Pus means containing lots of white blood cells.  As the word is commonly understood this is generally an indicator of infection.  Perhaps the culture reports are misleading because:
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker