Respiratory Disorders Community
RATTLE IN THROAT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

RATTLE IN THROAT

I have not smoked for 4 years and do not suffer with coughs.  During the past 6 weeks i have developed a slight wheeze and I have a constant rattle in my throat, but more when I go to bed of an evening.

I have been coughing up mucas which is just white in colour.  I feel fine, but i do get some breathlessness from time to time especially when walking a distance. Nothing like this in the past.
Thank you
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms mentioned by you could be due to Asthma. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a sputum culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to.  He may even ask for repeat blood test and an X ray. Lung function tests could further help in evaluation. In the meantime try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.