Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Rales?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Rales?

Alright Ive asked questions about my situation in the past.I made a thread below but just to refresh your memory.Im 20 years old.Smoked weed for 5 years on a daily basis.I found out Im allergic to weed.I had asthma as a kid.

Ok Ive noticed what seems to be rales.When I breathe in lying down and place my hand on my chest over my left lung I feel little rattles and vibrations.It clears up somewhat when I can get some mucus out.I seem to have a mucus problem and am a bit worried that I now have chronic bronchitis.Can rales occur in asthma too? Or is it primarily in other lung diseases? I quit smoking 6 months ago.Could these rales go away over time? or is this something permanent?My main issue is with mucus it seems.
The tactile sensation you feel over your chest has the same cause as the sounds one can hear with a stethoscope, mucus or water in the airways or air sacs.  Rales are fine crackles and can usually not be felt with your hand.  They are most characteristic of heart failure and a class of diseases called interstitial lung disease (ILD).  Ronchi are coarser sounds caused by the rattle of mucus in the airways.  What you feel are probably ronchi, since they clear with cough and the expulsion of mucus.  Ronchi are characteristic of chronic bronchitis.

Your chronic bronchitis may or may not be reversible, but there is a good chance of reversibility and, with that, the excessive mucus production and the ronchi caused by the mucus would go away.  That might take a year or more.  But the fact that it is present at your young age is a strong indication that your lungs are vulnerable to the development of COPD.  This is a red flag that you should never smoke anything again, if you want to avoid the development of severe lung disease with emphysema that would probably lead to a premature death.

With smoking cessation your lungs should clear.  If they seem to worsen, in any way with abstinence, you should be examined and have a chest x-ray to ensure that you do not have something else, unrelated to smoking, going on in your lungs.
1 Comment
A related discussion, CHF. Copd was started.